3. Norwegian Escape
My husband and I booked this cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary, our first vacation without children in many many years. We had previously sailed with Norwegian and the timing on this trip worked out perfectly, plus we like the option to sail from New York. Embarkation was a little disorganized, only because of the gangways that had been damaged in a storm the week previous. That being said, we were through registration and on the ship within an hour or less. The pier area was quite crowded. We stayed on the 15th deck, midship. Very nice room, very clean, wonderful room steward in Blase, who was very attentive without being intrusive. Our balcony was clean and we loved being able to order a complimentary breakfast and enjoy it out there every morning (weather permitting). Bed very comfy, our only complaint with the room was the electrical outlets did not work very well. We could only charge our electronics using the plug extender we brought with us. Bathroom was a decent size, no issues with the toilet that others have mentioned, and always got a hot shower. The Garden Café food was fine, but it did get very chaotic and crowded at peak times. Since we’re early risers, breakfast wasn’t an issue. Lunch got pretty wild probably around 1-2 pm, and I don’t think we ate there at all for dinner. Food was not terribly hot unless you got a made-to-order entrée. I found it to be entirely too big. It’s set up as a big rectangle, with stations that repeat every so often. I needed a map to get around the place! We never ate in the main dining room, preferring the smaller Taste and Savor rooms. The food here was very good. I highly recommend the grilled Cajun mahi mahi sandwich on a pretzel bun at lunch, and the Shrimp Arabiatta was good as well. O’Sheehans was good. I was pleasantly surprised by the burgers – they were very tasty and cooked just right. I was a fan of the Bangers and Mash, not so much the open face turkey sandwich. It was just OK, sliced deli turkey doesn’t make a great hot sandwich with gravy and mashed potatoes. One word of advice – if you want a beer or bar drink with dinner, pick it up at the bar across the way and bring it in with you. The drinks took forever if you ordered at the table. We also got in the habit of picking up a glass of wine at the Mixx Bar and bringing it in with us. We had the 3-meal specialty dining package and chose Bayamo, Teppanyaki, and Food Republic. Food Republic was delicious and more than enough food for two. I believe with the dining plan you are each allowed 4 items from their menu. We order four for the two of us and it was plenty. Teppanyaki I’m giving three stars. The food was OK, but kind of awkward to eat the way they have the plates set up. I also felt that our chef was not really into it – all the other tables seemed to be getting a better show than ours. The bar staff was great, very attentive and quick. Bayamo was the best meal of our week, we absolutely loved it. We couldn’t get a reservation, but went down and checked at the desk anyway. If we were willing, they could seat us outside on The Waterfront; we took them up on it and had the whole area to ourselves. The service was fantastic, the food was delicious, and I don’t have enough good things to say about our meal there! I believe it is a new menu, as it just says “Ocean Blue” and didn’t match up with anything I had seen online previously. As for bars, we were frequent visitors to the District Beer House. Great selection of beers, comfy couches and a great atmosphere. My only complaint is that it is enclosed with no outdoor seating option. Went several times to the piano bar with Justin Golan. He is hilarious as long as you’re not easily offended! We were very disappointed with the change to our itinerary. Instead of docking at 8am in Bermuda, it was changed to 5pm. If we’d known that when we booked the reservation we probably would have chosen a different sailing. We had crappy weather, can’t fault anyone for that, but enjoyed our evening catamaran cruise with Rising Son, and minibus tour the following day, even in the pouring rain. Several excursions were cancelled because of the weather and the entire excursion staff handled the ensuing chaos extremely well! We spent half a day touring around the Royal Naval Dockyards – lots to see and do, and the final morning at Snorkel Park Beach. Very small beach, lots of activities, and very crowded. Since we only had half a day in port I think half the ship was on the beach that morning! Overall, this was a wonderful cruise. We very rarely felt like we were on a full ship, there’s a lot to do and lots of places to hang out. Favorite things: Cruise Critic Meet & Greet (highly recommend getting in on that!), District Brewhouse, sitting out on The Waterfront, Justin Golan performances. Least favorite: crowded pool area and bar, cigarette smoke drifting from the casino, volume level in the Atrium during activities was very loud.

We had a great Escape!

Alimo711’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Escape price drops

Mid-ship Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BA
Nice cabin, liked the layout with the bed close to the balcony door. Lots of places to store things. Bathroom was standard cruise ship closet-sized room. No complaints.
Deck 15 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Catamaran Cruise
    It was pouring rain and we were late for our Sunset cruise. More than half the people decided to cancel, but Rising Son took us out anyway with a small group of about 15. They made the best of the situation by giving us a personalized night tour around to Hamilton and back. Lots of fun! Can't recommend Rising Son enough.
    View All 96 Catamaran Cruise Reviews
  • Island Tour
    Our minibus tour with driver Jovan Thomas was very informative. He made a point of reversing the itinerary so that we had most of the sights and stops to ourselves without the army of tour buses. He gave us a lot of very interesting information about what it's like to live and work in Bermuda instead of the usual tourist propaganda. Very enjoyable.
    View All 109 Island Tour Reviews