Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review
2,404 Reviews

E Coli infection on a cruise is not fun!

Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by mouldmasn

• Sail Date: Sep 2019
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Interior

We decided to book back-to-back 7 day cruises (14 days starting 9-15-19) with our adult sons everyone with their own cabin. The first 7 day cruise, San Juan to Barbados and back to SJ, went as planned and expected and we have had fun on previous Royal cruises. We plan our own scuba diving shore excursions and they went well. Cabins small but workable. We don't stay in our cabins much anyway. Dining for the first cruise was just as good or better as we have experienced before and we were excited to share all of our fun with the boys. Shows and entertainment was good. Casino is a joke...nobody has a good time on cruise casinos...nothing like shore casinos...no life or fun at all and nobody wins except the ship! Anyway, not there to gamble. Dining is indulgent and the waitstaff is super! My adult boys really love the on-board wave board activity.

The real problems started with the second 7 day cruise (starting 9-22-19) which ran consecutively with the first. This cruise went from SJ to Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire and St Maarten and back to SJ. This cruise had an entirely different flavor and chemistry. So many young children..it was like being in a floating daycare facility! Entirely different experience from the previous 7 days. Oh well, I have nothing against kids just not expecting so many on my Royal cruise vacation. Then my wife came down with her cold 2 days into the cruise and couldn't dive. Probably the worst was four days into the cruise I came down with E Coli sickness. Worst intestinal illness I have ever experienced!! Didn't dare go to far away from the cabin if you know what I mean. Now we are very, very careful to wash our hands but many are not and the alcohol handwash they dispense on-board WILL NOT kill E Coli or a bunch of other organisms. So there went the rest of my vacation...down the drain. If you've had an E Coli infection, you'll never want another. Took several more weeks to fully recover. We didn't eat ashore anywhere we went so it was likely to be from on-board that I caught it but from where I don't know and never will.

We plan to cancel our upcoming Spain to Miami cruise on Royal. 14 days is far too long to be cooped up on a ship with thousands of other kids and adults and Royal has not returned my calls about our experiences and will not get my business again anytime soon. I was a fan of Royal Caribbean but not anymore. .

mouldmasn's Full Rating Summary

Interior

Interior cabin is small but we are used to them by now. Beds are firm and good for our taste. Bathroom is cramped but usable for one at a time. We don't cruise for the cabin anyway. Housekeeping was friendly and prompt.

Scuba

Wonderful time diving in Aruba.

Scuba Diving

Very well run diving operation. They really took care of us!

View All 13 Scuba Diving Reviews
Scuba Diving

Best diving of the cruise and close to the disembarkation.

View All 15 Scuba Diving Reviews
St. Maarten

Was sickened with ship-board E coli and couldn't do much.

mouldmasn