This itinerary has been a bucket list cruise for a number of years. By the time we were finally able to book it, it had become an EXC cruise. I am so pleased with the lectures given by the EXC naturalists. What an amazing group! Chris Cook, the leader, is not only knowledgeable but entertaining. Erin, the crocodile specialist, is absolutely amazing! I was impressed with every one of them. Dr. Anita Heiss joined the cruise in its final days to add her expertise as well. I chose Holland America over other lines who do the circumnavigation for the itinerary which included Komodo Island and Tasmania. These two were the highlights for me. We saw the dragons and went to Gunns Plain Cave in Tasmania to see the elusive glowworms that I have wanted to see for so long. Other highlights were the ship's excursions to Billabong Sanctuary out of Townsville, trike ride in Broome, Wildlife (at marvelous Healesville) and Wineries out of Melbourne and private excursions to Litchfield, Yanchep and Pinnacles National Parks. I highly recommend any excursion which includes Healesville. It is a division of the Victoria Zoo which Chris Cook is affiliated with. We saw so much there. It is not to be missed as the Victoria Zoo does things the right way. We enjoyed trivia where we met wonderful partners from around the world. Food exceeded expectations and service was excellent. Our steward was exemplary. Our cabin was spacious with lots of storage. Only disappointments were missing Exmouth and Kangaroo Island, both tender ports. Seas were extremely rough and Captain Ryan Whittaker made the right decision not to attempt tendering. I regret not booking one of the zodiac tours. Those I heard from really enjoyed them. By the time I had an opening in our schedule and slots available, the weather had turned rough and we had colds which made us not game for it. The Maasdam is one of Holland America's older ships along with its sister ship the Veendam. I love both of them. The Maasdam is clean and well maintained. I would not hesitate to sail again on either of these. Their size and design is just what I like in a ship. The entertainment was better than expected. Initially EXE cruises did not have traditional entertainment. We enjoyed the shows most nights. Our favorites were IDA (very talented sopranos from the West End), the Jersey Tenors, and the OZ Boys. All three performed multiple shows which we enjoyed. I highly recommend joining your roll call group for any cruise. We enjoyed our three tours arranged through our active roll call. I arranged one to Litchfield National Park out of Darwin and enjoyed trips to Yanchep/Pinnacles National Parks out of Freemantle and a wine tour to to the Borossa Valley out of Adelaide planned by others. We enjoyed meeting others from roll call and the meet and greets (formal and informal) were well done by leaders from our roll call. We were even able to arrange shared cabs from airport to hotel and hotel to ship on roll call. We made our own hotel reservation at a reasonably priced hotel I found through others' recommendations here on CC. Had our ship embarked at the Quay where we disembarked, we could have walked to the ship. Overall I am glad we took this cruise and would consider EXE itineraries to other locations.

EXC Circumnavigation Does Not Disappoint

Maasdam Cruise Review by HokiePoq

HokiePoq’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Maasdam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin G
This is a very comfortable double porthole cabin on the A deck. It is a few cabins from the most forward. It is conveniently located directly under the theater and Crow's Nest. Elevators come unfilled to the A deck. We had plenty of storage as this cabin could house three people. It has a sofa as well as desk with chair. This was our first time on this low a deck but glad we were there for a number of days with rough seas. Only midship would be better.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Broome
    We saw the sights of Broome from the trike. Think motorcycle with a driver and three passengers. Bit of a thrill ride! We stopped for a tour of the beautiful point.
    View All 13,589 Broome Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Broome Cruise Port Review
  • Cairns
    There is an hour long boat ride to the island. Once there we were directly put on the glass boat reef viewing boat. This was great but very short. We walked the rain forest walk, also very short. The included lunch was satisfactory. Then we saw for four hours waiting for our boat to go back. I had planned to snorkel but there would have been nothing to see that was not better seen from the glass bottom boat. Many warning signs were posted about swimming with the stingers. We didn't. There is a pool but very public and unappealing to us. This day could have been better spent.
    View All 13,589 Cairns Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cairns Cruise Port Review
  • Litchfield Park
    I arranged this tour with Offroad Dreaming. Other roll call members joined us. We visited three waterfalls where we were able to swim. A great lunch was provided along with snacks. Our driver stopped the van when he saw a frilled lizard crossing the road and for an emu family crossing the road. Best sightings in the wild of the whole cruise.
    View All 19 Litchfield Park Reviews
  • Geraldton
    We took the shiip's excursion to Kalbarri National Park. I changed at the last minute from the river cruise to Kalbarri. I was really glad I did as that tour could not see the scenery due to low water. Beautiful views at several locations and a great lunch prepared by the bus owner/driver's wife!
    View All 45 Geraldton Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Geraldton Cruise Port Review
  • Komodo Island
    I elected the ship's tour for Komodo. A longer private tour was available through roll call but two hours in the heat was all I could handle. We saw many dragons at the waterhole and then hiked before returning to the craft sales area. Highly recommend.
    View All 46 Komodo Island Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Komodo Island Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    Typical city tour highlighted by stops at the botanic garden and beach. Could have had less time in boring neighborhoods and more time at the gorgeous botanic garden. We did this the second day with a private excursion to the parks first day.