3. Norwegian Sky
1) Food A. Having been on a couple different cruise lines, the food on those were very different each day with one or two buffets offering the same foods each day if desired. B. The times the buffets opened and closed were strange. On other cruises, I could get up at 6:00 AM and be able to find something to eat, whereas this cruise did not open for a couple hours later. I also never found the 24 hour option (save for room service which, surprise, came with a cost). 2) Room A. The room steward was excellent, but there's only so much you can do for a sub-par room. The shower is obviously vert small, as in common on a cruise ship. However, we were never able to take a shower wherein the entire bathroom floor did not become flooded. This may or not be by design. B. There was a point where a pipe, so we were told, burst causing us to be able to take showers during our extended time spent in our room (more on that later). C. Every few hours, there would be a VERY LOUD mechanical whirring noise in our room. It would last 15 to 20 minutes, then stop. This happened around the clock, including late at night. Upon calling Guest Services to see what it was, someone was sent to check it out, but they showed up about 30 minutes after the call, after it had stopped. It was never resolved. 3) The Ship A. When onboard the ship, specifically on port days, there was not much to do. Most activities were either seminars trying to get you to spend money, or activities that had associated fees. There was next to nothing for families. B. When trying to get off the ship, the tender to Great Stirrup Cay took over an hour from getting in line to landing at the island. Again, this was not my experience when going to CoCo Cay, (before they built a pier). C. On the first day, the kids' pool was open and my daughter greatly enjoyed it. Every day after, the pool and hot tub was drained and unavailable. We called to see why, but received no answer. After we spent a VERY LONG time in our state room (my next point), my daughter was excited to get out and swim. Again, she was unable. We even called Guest Services before going out, and were assured the pool was filled and open (which we specifically asked about.) 4) Quarantine The night of embarkation, Thursday, November 7, we all had slight headaches and vertigo. This was common for us as we adapted to the motion of the ship. Early the next morning my daughter woke up needing to go to the bathroom. She vomited 5 times over the next 4 hours. My wife, previously a gastrointestinal rehab nurse, knew that this was simply motion sickness. This was further evidenced by the fact that my daughter was able to eat anything and felt completely fine for the rest of the day. Around 1:00 PM, my wife thought my daughter felt hot and out of caution, and because we forgot our own thermometer, went to the medical center to see if she could take her temperature. She was examined and then unceremoniously quarantined to her room for 24 hours. I understand tat a cruise ship must be a place of caution when it comes to spreading disease. I also understand that a doctor on board a ship is very likely to quarantine someone who might sneeze in an odd way for fear of letting sickness run rampant on the ship and potentially facing reprimand or termination. But these are not excuses for the total lack of proper examination (again, she was completely fine after the 4 hours in the morning) and complete lack of empathy. She was instead treated largely like a leper and, being such, seemed to have lost her status as a paying customer. The cruise staff then sent a 6 year old girl to sit in a windowless room for over 24 hours without any kind of compensation to perhaps make it more bearable. I wouldn't consider myself a cruise veteran, but neither would I say I'm a rookie. However, I can honestly say that there isn't one thing from this cruise that Norwegian does better than the other cruise lines which I've experienced. As such, I will not only NOT be booking any more cruises with Norwegian, but I will ACTIVELY attempt to save anyone I speak to about the subject from making the same mistake of booking this cruise line.

Felt like everyone was still in training

Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by jwerking312