3. Marella Explorer
We had cruised with Thomsons several times previously and really enjoyed the friendly, personal touch of their Ships. We had tried several other ones over the years and decided to give Marella a go, so booked a weeks cruise on the Explorer. Initial impressions were very good...very friendly staff, clean ship, great lounges/bars, spacious inside cabin..all good. The itinary suited us and even though the weather wasn't kind to us there wasn't much we could do about that. But I have to say from initial good impressions the standard deteriorated. Food wasn't great in all areas/ restaurants, service was very slow and several times we waited at least 45-50 mins between courses in the Latitude restaurant. When food came elements were missing as they had "run out". No crackers for cheese, missing veg, etc We booked the Mediterranean Italian one night. As required we chose our pasta ingredients and pizza to be freshly cooked...it wasn't as ordered but very nice, but pizza didn't arrive to the table. After asking 4 times it did come - undercooked and not as ordered after an hours wait. Vista was marginally the better eateries of them all. The toilets in public areas were never very clean or well maintained, often blocked and spillage on floors. Probably due to reduced staff provision tbh. Our cabin wasn't made up on 2 occasions on a morning but frankly we weren't too bothered. Cabins were kept very clean overall, and very comfortable. My husband and I experienced upset tummys after eating from the breakfast buffet on 2nd day...same item eaten, same onset symptoms!! We swerved that area after. The entertainment team worked hard, and the 2 bands, piano man and Robbie played every day. But please stop playing the same 60s/70s music....not all clients like that era! The silent discos were a triumph. Casino was chaotic at times with crupieres not in control of the roulette playing areas..not professional. Bar services and staff were good and all worked their socks off. One mention of soda drinks dispensed, not in cans, from the bars ..they were foul tasting and frankly inedible. I like lime & soda but if I'd drank them I would have been ill...tasted of musty, old, stale water. On our final departure day...on way home we both had onset of D&V, despite using every precaution we could have undertaken during the cruise. Least our cruise weight has fallen off! We will try Marella again I think, but we won't rush to book.

Average

Marella Explorer Cruise Review by FlatPack12345

When food came elements were missing as they had "run out".

No crackers for cheese, missing veg, etc

Vista was marginally the better eateries of them all.

Cabins were kept very clean overall, and very comfortable.

Bar services and staff were good and all worked their socks off.

Least our cruise weight has fallen off!

We will try Marella again I think, but we won't rush to book.
FlatPack12345’s Full Rating Summary