3. Royal Princess
i hadn't been to Mexico in many years, so I wanted to check it out. Princess offered me a comp, so why not. Cabo was great but the shore excursion to the "resort" ended up being on a very crowded public beach with dirty couches and no lounge chairs for us. the beach is typical now - the drop in the sand to get into the water was just as bad as many Caribbean beaches these days. I found Mazatlan to be dumpy. The last time I was in Puerto Vallarta there were only three or four hotels. what a change. we went to the Hyatt away from the masses and the resort was great. my room steward was great and I showed him my appreciation. Being on Keto, I ate in the buffet almost all of the time. Many choices, good food but they should open for dinner at 5 pm instead of 5:30, no biggie. The casino comped me at the Crown Grill - food and service was great - left a pretty big tip - maitre d' even asked me if I was sure if i wanted to leave that much - well, turns out he ended up sending in a charge to my room for the meal even though I handed him the casino invite. After a visit to guest services and being questioned, they reversed the charge. a high point was that i lost my watch at the pool - someone actually turned it into lost and found and I got it back. service overall was good but they have the same problem with the slow bartenders at the bars so i just waited til i got to the casino to drink. casino was filthy and it seemed as though it was never cleaned during the week. machines pretty much sucked but i did manage to get a jackpot which covered most of my losses. embarkation and debarkation went very smoothly. the new medallion is not all that it is supposed to be - at least not yet - many of us were charged for items we didnt buy - if you walk by a bar or a store, for some reason, a charge seemed to appear. Also, I do not like my name posted outside my cabin. it was nice, though, to be able to walk up to your room and your door unlocks. also, they advertise heavily how you can use your medallion anywhere on the ship to place an order. I tried four different times and different locations and each time I was told that I was not in an area serviced by the medallion. the internet was just as shoddy as on other ships. it worked probably half of the time. sanctuary pool area is the only way to go if you dont want to be around kids. they did have the most amount of hot tubs that i've ever seen on a ship - at least 10. plenty of chairs to sit anywhere - unlike MSC Meraviglia and Seaside - we could never find a chair. The showroom does not have enough seats for a cruise of over 3500 ppl. I could not get a seat at any of the shows. Ppl put their bags on the seats next to them to take up seats. something needs to be done about that. i wrote that in my review with princess. let me know if you have any questions. if you don't know, san pedro (pier in LA) is in a pretty lousey area so be aware. that's about it mj in ny

A week on the Royal Princess to Mexico

Royal Princess Cruise Review by Pawling43

• Sail Date: November 2019
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Interior

my room steward was great and I showed him my appreciation.

embarkation and debarkation went very smoothly.

sanctuary pool area is the only way to go if you dont want to be around kids.

let me know if you have any questions.

that's about it

mj in ny
Pawling43’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin IA
the cabin was fine for just me and being a freebie. i was hesitant since this was the first time i didnt have a balcony but it was fine.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins