3. Norwegian Escape
Because of the Hurricane in the Caribbean, NCL moved their eco cruise presenters to our cruise. We had Dr. Guy Harvey, whio is a marine biologist and the artist who designed the hull art for the Escape, on our cruise. My husband and I attended every lecture and presentation by Dr. Harvey and his other marine scientists on board to learn about their research. We found it fascinating - how they track and identify sharks and what they are doing for coral reef restoration. We also watched as over the week Dr. Harvey completed a painting on manatees. (This was the third such cruise for Dr. Harvey. I know I may have to look into a future cruise with Dr. Harvey on board the Escape.) The ship itself is large, but we found our way. One of the shows was After Midnight. One of the comedians noted that because of the age of the guests After Midnight was showing at 7:30. Yes, the crowd was mostly over 50, although there were some "Young folk" and a few children. Not a lot of noise. It was cool out, so no one was really using the pools. We like the thermal spa (extra fee - cheaper when ordered online before cruise) and the pool in it was not crowded. I'd say the worst crowds we saw were a) at the beginning of the cruise, when everyone went to the top of the ship to view the Statue of Liberty and watch as as went under the Verazzano Narrows Bridge and b) the elevators when people were embarking after excursions. We had a wonderful meal in Le Bistro and our looking forward to trying out Le Bistro on NCL's Bliss next year. At Moderno, when I found there was bacon on the chicken, they contacted the kitchen and they brought me chicken without bacon, Even though we're used to NCLs Freestyle dining, we didn't know that you could arrange to sit with an impromptu group. We did this one evening and had a very nice time talking to 3 other couples we'd never met before. Embarkation and debarkation were a piece of cake, first time at platinum level to get on early. Very nice! As I said, we loved the presentations by Dr. Harvey. We're trivia fans so we did a lot of the trivia contests. We booked some of our entertainment pre-cruise. Since we got on early, we were able to get in line early for entertainment requiring booking. I'd rate the shows we saw as some of the best. Howl at the Moon, a three person group who take requests, was great. We caught them twice. The Choir of Man, which is set in an Irish bar, was very good. Before the show really gets going, they invited the audience to come up and have a brew - no fee. After Midnight was also entertaining. Members of the cast actually were in attendance at Howl At the Moon. I was really impressed with how an audience member could sing and dance so well; it turned out that he was a member of After Midnight's cast. So far as the room goes, it is almost a cookie cutter of the cabin we had on the Getaway except that it actually had more outlets. (NCL seems to lack adequate plugs.I usually pack one or two block plugs which fit either US or other outlets. The plug comes with 2 usb ports and another plug. That way, no concern with charging devices.) I was disappointed that we wouldn't be having towel animals, but as they are doing that to conserve energy/water. That's a good thing, (I donate to CoolEffect to compensate for CO2.) We enjoyed the ports of call Portland, ME, Bar Harbor/Acadia NP, St. Johns, New Bruswick, and Halifax, Nova Scotia. As we're getting older, we didn't want to take long tours, although we did walk around and take the hop-on/hop-off buses in Canada. We were huffing after walking up to the Citadel in Halifax from the Science Museum there. (We could definitely understand why Halifax would not have been invaded from land after the hike.) Rather than board the Hop-on/Hop off bus at the port in Halifax, we walked over to the Maritime Museum, toured it and then got on the bus. (One of the Hop On/Hop Off bus drivers informed us that it was a crazy day in Halifax, that they had every bus running as there were a lot of cruise ships in that day.) Acadia National Park is beautiful.

Guy Harvey Cruise