3. Costa Deliziosa
I took notes so I would be more objective. Some of the online criticism I read wasn’t a problem for us. For example, the Jacuzzi’s size, food, and service were good. The crew spoke English with the usual assortment of accents. Costa was responsive to complaints. The pool music was obnoxious and very loud. I asked the desk, “What age are you targeting?” The next day, the volume was lower and the music pleasant. The aluminum chairs aboard create a sore butt and back. We had to put two towels on the seat. It was tiresome to have announcements in the theater translated into four languages when monitors could posted translations. We left after the performance rather that listen to the droning. There were very few activities of interest. The cultural lectures by Jean Christophe were outstanding. Most of the presentations aboard are infomercials. The 18’ x 12’ screen on the Lido deck was the biggest waste, playing only commercials for the entire 27-day cruise. I never observed a single person watching the screen. I timed nightly shows were between 31 and 40 minutes, about 36 minutes average. They overused talented dancers, who only had taped music (no band). It becameuse tedious. Many times, I had to cover my ears from the sound; we walked out three times because the sound reached the threshold of pain. The supervisor explained that he told the sound engineer to lower it, but “the younger generation loves volume.” Who’s in charge? The largest portion of the audience was elderly (I’m 68) and others I spoke to complained, but not to the personnel where it made a difference. I left a note to please lower it on the engineer’s equipment, but it was ignored. In room TV’s had little to offer English speakers. Costa gets an “F” for entertainment. We wanted our vacation to be devoid of badgering for money. Costa gets a “D” for that. We had a good time. Costa discounts are cheesy and feels like a cheat. For example, you have to go on six excursions to get a 30% discount on the cheapest one you bought. One “sale” had a 50% discount on wine, except at their restaurant where you drink it. It felt like, “We’ll give you a discount on everything except what you want.” Tokens for free drinks (excluding wine) can’t be used until after 8, which means you can’t use them for dinner. I wonder how long it will take cruise lines to lift the gouging alcohol restrictions on adults. This was my fourth cruise line. I can’t tell which is the best but I can say Costa is the worst, because their entertainment and variety are poor. Yet, our 27-day cruise to Italy was still good enough for a fabulous time.

Good enough