3. Koningsdam
We actually were booked on our favourite and most travelled line, Princess, on their brand new Sky Princess but when we saw the Koningsdam's itinerary we switched. We just did the 13 night itinerary in and out of Civitavecchia. The itinerary was the main draw and we had read some pretty disparaging reviews on Cruise critic after booking, but we decided to stick with it. I am not sure why people gave such poor reviews, we loved it. Embarkation and disembarkation was a breeze, no queuing at all. There were some very minor irritations and we agree that the service in the Main dining room needs some tweaking, but most everything else was great. The staff were all very friendly but I think it's just a matter of more training or more staff. The food in the two specialty restaurants we tried was spectacular. Tamarind and Sel de mer both served up some of the best food we have had on any cruise ship, ever! The staff in these venues were incredible, so well trained and engaged. We enjoyed the entertainment venues including all of the music areas. BB Kings (blues), Lincoln Centre (classical), Rock n roll club and Billboard (2 pianos with 2 very personable and enjoyable artists). We made the rounds to these areas and really enjoyed it all. We heard some people complaining about loud music in some of the venues and in the main theatre but we didn't find it so, and we aren't that young either. Most people we sat around seemed to enjoy it all. In the theatre lineup the ship brought in a wonderful local music group when we were in Dubrovnik, which was a highlight of the cruise. The Music of the Knights trio were great as was the comedian and the other musical entertainment. The pool areas were wonderful with different types of seating including great lounger beds, comfy cushioned lounger, typical pool lounges, tables and chairs etc. either in a covered area or in the sun. The main pool area has a retractable roof for cool or rainy days which we loved. Perhaps there were some things that could be improved but overall we loved it. The Captain showed his care for his passengers at all times, kept us well informed of events and took the time to sail around the Island of Stromboli a couple of times to give everyonec the chance to see the volcanic eruption that occurs often on the island. The Cruise Director and his staff were involved, friendly and approachable. Trivia games were plentiful and well attended and fun! If I had to find specific things which could be improved I would say the wine list in the MDR which leans too much towards wines from the U.S. I prefer wines from elsewhere, but that's just my preference. The choices of wine at the specialty restaurants was different than the MDR and much better. As well, I am a tea granny and I found the quality of the tea poor and the lack of teapots at Afternoon tea mystifying. We also would have loved some more Enrichment talks, but because we were in port almost everyday it's understandable why this wasn't so. Pretty petty stuff right and certainly not worth fretting about. Our cabin (6047 Mozart deck)) was in good order and spotless, and we were looked after very well by our cabin steward and his assistant. They are two hardworking young men. All in all we couldn't have asked for a better time. The ports were spectacular and we came away happy and refreshed with lots of wonderful memories to carry us through til our next cruise.

Seasoned cruisers, 1st time with Holland America.

Koningsdam Cruise Review by ansui

• Sail Date: October 2019
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Verandah Stateroom

Embarkation and disembarkation was a breeze, no queuing at all.

ansui’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VS
We liked our cabin . The shower is huge, there's lots of storage areas around the room, fridge, room safe, great balcony area. The beds were not as comfortable as those on Princess however. The in room television had lots of movies to choose from, much better than Celebrity. Some extra news stations from elsewhere in the world would have been nice. We were happy to have BBC , but this was the only non American choice.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins