3. Anthem of the Seas
We were a group of 10: My husband and I and our two boys (9 and 11), my in-laws and their 2 girls (8 and 10), and my parents-in-law. We had three separate cabins booked. Our family chooses cruises so we can enjoy time together and still have time apart. Boarding and disembarking in NJ was so fast it was almost head spinning. Disembarkation was a little crazy with just the sheer volume of vehicle traffic picking up and dropping off, but the uber made his way through and whipped us to the airport with no problems at all. Ship: This ship is amazing. We are typically Oasis class cruisers, but we (especially the kids) were really excited to experience bumper cars, xbox lounge, roller skating and all the activities in the Sea Plex, and the ship didn't disappoint. I thought the bumper cars would be a bit hoakie - but they were really fun and the kids loved them. Roller skating was a huge hit too - we did both activities a few times. Cabin: We had a jr. suite booked, but our royal up bid was successful and we landed a 2 bedroom grand suite. It was more room than we needed and we loved every minute of it. Part of my cruise enjoyment is quiet time on the balcony with my coffee in the morning and the kids are all about room service (which is included in a GS), so we made excellent use of the benefits of our room. Pools - we spent our time exclusively at the indoor pool because the outdoor pool was a total gong show. It was fine - the kids had fun. It was hot in there though (no hotter than outside, mind you). I was disappointed that there wasn't some way to open the roof to get a breeze going through there. We were always able to find chairs, bar service was good, and if I recall, food and snacks were never too far away. The pool situation is lacking compared to Oasis (which has 4 pool areas), but kids had fun regardless, and it was nice to not be so worried about sunscreen all the time. IFly - totally awesome. We all did it (except the parents in-law) and had so much fun. Really great experience. North Star - kinda meh. A one and done for us. Service - was absolutely fantastic. The crew was amazing and so accommodating. Entertainment - I think the only show we managed to get to was the Quest - and it was hysterical. Not for the easily offended, but I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. 270 - this was by far my favourite part of the ship. The aft views were spectacular and the little cafe that's right there was a go to for lunch on at least two occasions, and was a perfect venue for a post-pool afternoon snack. Loved it. Ports: Bermuda - our first time here and I'm in love. We booked a private excursion that took us to the caves first thing in the morning. We were the first group into the caves and I'm so glad we were as we had the whole cavern to ourselves and it was magical. If you can swing your timing to get there early I strongly recommend it. Then we went into Hamilton for a wander and some lunch. So pretty - but it was hot, so we were keen to get to the beach. The tour ended up at horseshoe bay beach and we loved it. We walked down the beach, past some rocks to a quieter area and it was absolutely spectacular. The water was warm and amazing and the beach itself was breathtaking. I was glad, as we left the beach, that we had a private van booked for our group as the line of people waiting for transport out of the beach was significant and people were STRESSING about making their all-aboard times. San Juan - we didn't book anything at San Juan, and I was glad we hadn't as we were there in the midst of the demonstrations. Things had calmed down by the time we docked, but there was a lot of evidence of the activities that had closed the port just prior to our arrival. We walked around old San Juan and did a bit of shopping. There were a few protesters and a police presence, but we never felt unsafe. Old San Juan is so beautiful. St. Maarten - this is my happy place. I love it here. We took the water taxi from the port over to Great Bay Beach where we got some chairs and umbrellas and spent the better part of the day chillaxin, swimming, building sand castles, burying people in the sand, and flying around on jet-skis. Heaven on earth. Labadee - I had booked a beach bungalow and it was perfection. The beach was beautiful as was the water. Kids did the wibit water park - but there were some jellies and a couple of them had some minor stings. Nothing serious, but it scared them. The bungalow was awesome for the parents as they don't want to be in the sun, and it was great to have a home base for the day with our large group. Dining: Chops - had a big family dinner one night with the 10 of us for dad's birthday and the food, service, and staff were amazing. Everything was excellent Coastal Kitchen - we only got here one night and it was absolutely amazing. Despite being a huge fan of Oasis class ships, the food and service on Anthem's coastal kitchen was heads and shoulders above Oasis. It was perfection. Main Dining Room - great service, food was good and came out hot. They did a great job getting kids' food out fast and making sure everyone was happy. Having said that, our meals in the MDR did take a long time and we're not the group for a 2 hour dinner. Windjammer - it is what it is and is great for a big group with some picky eaters. Kids loved it, parents managed to find something to eat. Solarium - this was my go-to for lunch. Salad bar was sufficient and I didn't feel as overwhelmed as I did in the windjammer sometimes. Seaplex Dog House - awesome. Definitely enjoyed some dogs in the SeaPlex. Drink Package - we had the Deluxe Beverage package and made good use of it. Drinks were good, bar service was excellent. We were able to make use of it on Labadee which came in handy. Fancy coffees were included, as was water and smoothies from the spa juice bar. Would we sail a Quantum Class ship again - definitely. Had an amazing cruise with great ports. This was our first cruise that was longer than 7 days, and 9 nights is a magic number.

Anthem Awesomeness

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review by Djsmrs

• Sail Date: July 2019
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Grand Suite - 2 Bedrooms

North Star - kinda meh. A one and done for us.

Service - was absolutely fantastic. The crew was amazing and so accommodating.

Ports:

Dining:

Seaplex Dog House - awesome. Definitely enjoyed some dogs in the SeaPlex.

Djsmrs’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas price drops

Grand Suite - 2 Bedrooms
Cabin GT
Awesome cabin. There were only 4 of us so there was enough room for everyone. The kids enjoyed having their own beds in the second bedroom. Having 2 bathrooms was super helpful as we showered and got everyone ready for dinner in the afternoons. We were sailing with cousins and they came to our room for a sleepover one night and the kids all had a blast sharing a room.

Master bedroom was large and provided more than enough storage and closet space. Bathroom had a tub.

Living room had a large sectional, chairs, and tv. Lots more storage.

Entry area had a large walk-in closet where we stowed our three suitcases. We didn't have enough stuff to fill all the storage in this suite!
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Crystal Caves
    Excellent - so nice to have a private van for the 10 of us to be carted around the island. I have no patience being on a tour and waiting for people or no flexibility to change plans.
    View All 60 Crystal Caves Reviews
  • Horseshoe Bay Beach
    Spectacular beach - but keep walking up the beach to get away from the crowds. It's a gong show when you first enter the beach.
    View All 161 Horseshoe Bay Beach Reviews