Oceania regulars organized this Alaska cruise for a party of 10. Our cabin was very nice and the best service on the ship was our room attendants. The wait staff in the restaurants were either over-worked or just had an attitude. We usually asked several times for water, or another soft drink. We have cruised quite a bit, and notice that Ukrainian, Russian or Slavic men tend to have a chip on their shoulder. The women are only a bit better. The waiter would push certain items on the menu - which I always find suspicious. The passengers were an average age of 60. When eating with my husband, we usually had to move our table to a better location in the restaurant. Open windows or being out of the sun were not considered when placing us, it seemed. We were entitled to two dinners at the specialty restaurants. One was at Tuscana. We were told we could dine only at 9 pm; the restaurant was basically empty, we were placed in the back of the restaurant above the engine. The servers failed to provide one of the menus. She tried to explain the selection of balsamic vinegar and olive oils but couldn't be understood because of her broken English. We only know this because later that week we returned with our friends from the Owner's Suite, and were given the whole service. We definitely had something to compare it too. I had to ask several times for tonic water, or parmesan cheese. We left before dessert. The other restaurant was the Polo Club. My steak was undercooked, I sent back, after 9 minutes it was returned still undercooked and all my other items were cold and my friends were finished with their meals. The ship was very much in need of servicing. The engine cavitation was at times very loud and distracting. Afternoon tea would spill out of the cup. Our friends in the Owners suite had such loud shaking in their cabin that our get togethers before dinner seemed uncomfortable because the shaking was the elephant in the room. Waiters by the pool were walking back and forth but not assisting passengers with drinks. It was as if they were trying to look busy. As a former Broadway entertainer and cruise ship performer, I paid particular attention to the shows. The specialty acts were geared more toward the geriatric set. The live performances (with click track) were ok. The dancers were not necessary. 6 singers would have been better to augment the sound. The recorded music was more balanced than the live band - which had way to much sax. Two items I really enjoyed were the Library, which is the hidden treasure on the Regatta and I love the thick chaise lounge cushions by the pool. Bottom line, is that the old adage, "You get what you pay for" doesn't apply to this cruise. Oceania is considered one of the higher end Cruise Lines. This was not. It wasn't worth the money spent.

Service with an attitude

EagleJames’s Full Rating Summary
Get Oceania Regatta price drops

Veranda Stateroom
Cabin B1
Really nice cabin. Quiet inside. Slept with veranda door open a crack. Bathroom shower had curtain that crawls up your backside when showering, but that is the case in most ships. Asked for larger bathroom and harder pillows which was very quickly attended to. The cabin attendants were the highlight of our experience on the cruise.
Deck 6 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins