Marina Cruise Review

Disappointed in lack of followup

Marina Cruise Review by Saluki79

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: the Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Level

My wife and I plus best friends wanted a Mediterranean cruise. Our travel agent recommended Oceania cruises. Smaller ship with upscale rooms and dining. This sounded great and the itinerary hit all the spots we had on our wish list.

Flew into Nice France 2 days early to explore all was great, would like to visit with more time.

Boarded the boat in Monte Carlo and have to say it is lovely and our room on the concierge level was as described. Bathroom was roomy and the cabin as a whole met our expectations.

12 day cruise with 10 days in port of call. We had a tour scheduled for every port of call. We only used Oceania tours, pricey but easy to arrange. Overall we are happy BUT...some of the group tours didn’t have the electronic listening devices so we had to stop and huddle. Very annoying with 30 people. We had a small tour in Jerusalem and it was amazing, guide was great and only 10 people, highly recommend the small tours if the budget allows.

As most reviews note the entertainment on board is not great but after touring each day we were tired so This didn’t impact our review of the cruise. Dining, very nice as advertised. The one area of dining that was disappointing was the steak house. The steaks were average at best with a limited selection. Overall the dining experience was very good.

The primary reason we selected the concierge level room was so we could have a full breakfast in the mornings before our early morning tours. Meals was delivered on time and were great.

Now you might be wondering why only 1 star. After a long day, We went to supper then to bed exhausted because of a 7am tour departure the next morning. When we awoke, showered and dress then we straightened the room. To our aghast one of the pillows was stained with thick brown material on 1 side. My wife thought I fell asleep with chocolate in my mouth. I assured her I didn’t because the chocolate was still on my nightstand. After she realize what this”stuff” was she was sick. We took pictures then wrote a note which we placed on top of the pillow. We went to our 7am tour and figured management would contact us. We returned and no note or anything acknowledging our issue. We went to the concierge in main entrance, the gentleman’s general attitude didn’t set will with me but he stated he would have staff contact us. Later 2 officers? that oversee room staff came to our room to discuss. They stated they saw our note and the pillowcase. They could not explain how this happened and said they were sorry and promised to get back with us. Never heard from them again.

Upon our return we wanted to contact Oceania to discuss our incident. We contacted our agent for executive contact information, she asked why and we explained and shared the pictures. She was appalled and offered to share our story with Oceania, we thought this was great of her to do this.

After a long delay finally here is part of Oceania’s response to the travel agent...

“As a matter of reference, our stewards arrange the pillows during the day, as well as during turndown service. Therefore, we believe there is no way that this dirty pillowcase would not have been noticed by the steward the night prior. Moreover, we are confident to say that none of our housekeeping staff would have place a dirty pillowcase on your clients’ pillows on purpose. Unfortunately, this rare and isolated eventuality remains a mystery to all of us, including our onboard Officers.”

To me this is saying we did this to the pillow case which is horrible. I haven’t asked for one single thing other than find out who did this to us and apologize.

Oceania executives still haven’t contacted us so my review has to be a 1 star with a vow never to cruise with them again and never give them a positive review.

PLEASE SEE MY PICTURE OF THE PILLOW..

Saluki79's Full Rating Summary

Concierge Level

Check your linens for cleanliness.

Florence (Livorno)

First stop was a shop with a sales pitch to buy leather goods and jewelry.

Sorrento

Spent most of the day waiting but it was beautiful.

Masada Walking Tour