3. Norwegian Getaway
I've cruised on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and NCL. I've cruised 11 times. This is the most mediocre cruise line I've been on. Let me tell you why... Poor Customer Service at every level - the biggest problem with NCL is their lack of interest in their "staff culture". There is no one setting an example for how to treat customers. On most cruises I've been on, I felt special and pampered. Not on NCL. After a 19day cruise, my cabin steward never introduced himself and I never figured out who he was. Once I opened my door at 8:50pm and one of the stewards was with his cart outside my door. I figured this was probably my guy. I asked him for a bucket of ice. I've done this on every cruise I've ever been on. He said he couldn't get it as he was off but I could call room service to bring it. In all restaurants, including the specialty restaurants like Cagney's, service was SLOW. I am unable to say whether it was because they were understaffed or what the problem was. There is an annoying casualness to the wait staff approach, as if I was an afterthought, perhaps even an inconvenience. In the dining room "taste" I asked for a glass of club soda and was told, "I will bring it when I have time." Staff constantly stepped in front of me or cut me off when I was walking places. The Captain of the ship even stated he didn't want to hear complaints about the hotel staff at a Q & A which tells me that this is a systemic problem, a culture of "that's not my job." O'Sheehans was the same with slow service and lack of attention to customers. There were few exceptions to this mediocrity. The staff at the Starbucks store were excellent. I have no idea if they work for Starbucks or for NCL but they were friendly, remembered my orders, and made me feel like their special customer. Food: in the dining rooms (Taste, Savour and Tropicana), the food was average. My husband thought the wine selection was ok. I was disappointed in the food at Cagney's. I remembered that when I was on NCL one other time, Cagney's was consistently excellent and I thought I could just dine there and be happy. Not so this time. My favorite steak, Ribeye, was not tender or flavorful. I did have a good Filet twice. Sides were so so. Food not brought out together...sides much later than steak. Desserts were good. Jimmy Buffet's was a letdown on several occasions. On a good day, food was average. But there were several times when I just gave up. The buffet was as expected. The dinner with the Cirque show was average with overcooked sirloin but the food was served hot. Terrible dessert! Room service charges $7.95 per delivery. I think that's service charge should be eliminated. Entertainment: NCL did better with this. My favorite was the house band at Syd Norman' Pour house. Excellent, engaging, talented. Lots of fun. The venue was too small. The Cirque show was excellent. A steampunk version of a Cirque du Soleil and really fun to watch. So glad we went to this. We also enjoyed the Burn the Floor dance group very much. Good choreography especially given the stage was small. The magician gave me the creeps. Ship condition: very good. It was kept clean and is beautiful. Cabin: my biggest problem was the steward who forgot to bring us beach towels (these were to be provided to all guests), forgot to bring a new version of a bulletin that was delivered to all guests, didn't get around to cleaning our room, had to leave notes for him to remove used glasses/plates. Ports: we never take the cruise line excursions and this cruise was no exception. I enjoyed the ports quite a lot. The exceptions was the Bahamas where we had to tender in to the island. We were asked to sign up for a tender time but they were 2 hours late. I spent much of my day sitting in the theatre waiting for a tender and then when I did get to the island, the lunch stands were closing up!! Lines very long. Shopping was just plain awful. A bunch of junk. A waste of a day. If you like a place to read and be quiet, this is not a good ship. There just aren't enough places to "hang out". Overall, this cruise line blew it. I will never cruise on NCL again. They need a complete revamping of their customer service culture. What a dismal cruise experience.

C'mon NCL, you can do much better than that

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by travelhawg

• Sail Date: October 2019
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Aft-Facing Balcony Stateroom

Ship condition: very good. It was kept clean and is beautiful.

travelhawg’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Aft-Facing Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B1
not enough storage. Balcony ridiculously small.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Cobh (Cork)
    Didn't feel we had enough time to get anywhere so we stayed in Cobh and walked around downtown, went to the Cathedral, had lunch at an Irish pub and found the "Deck of Cards" houses. It was a sunny, clear day. Great photos. Loved it. The ship docked almost right in town. Just a short walk to lots of pubs/restaurants and shops.
    View All 372 Cobh (Cork) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cobh (Cork) Cruise Port Review
  • Copenhagen
    Beautiful city. We stayed at the Absalon Hotel which was in a great location as it was walking distance to many things including the train station. Very big breakfast with lots of choices. The rooms are beautiful though a bit small. Everything was comfortable. Wifi worked well.
    View All 1,124 Copenhagen Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Copenhagen Cruise Port Review
  • Le Havre
    We booked our own driver to Mont St. Michel. It started out as a crummy, rainy day and that meant very few people visited. This was in October. It was LOVELY! I was concerned about climbing up to the abbey but there are so many places to stop, it was much less intimidating when we got there. The Abbey was so beautiful and interesting. The town is built below the Abbey and is picturesque. I would love to go back and spent 2 days so I could see the tide come in. This was the best stop for me.
    View All 13,583 Le Havre Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Le Havre Cruise Port Review
  • Rotterdam
    We went downtown to see the cube buildings and walked around there for awhile. Then we took a water taxi to the Kinderdijk windmills. Very easy to do and very inexpensive to get there. We spent several hours seeing the windmills which are beautifully restored. There are a few windmills open to the public which was very interesting. Nice gift store on site. Lots of photo ops!
    View All 113 Rotterdam Cruise Port Reviews