Symphony of the Seas Cruise Review by Vagabondvoyagers
- Sail Date: November 2019
- Destination: Eastern Caribbean
- Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony
This cruise was supposed to have special guest performers, and filled with prizes and surprises. We paid the premium price with high expectations, which Royal Caribbean failed to fulfill.
The coveted special guest performers were revealed to be one only and it was Hall & Oates. The announcement was made on the internet and youtube. In addition we received a leaflet in our room with the onboard shows itineraries where Hall & Oates were highlighted. Also, the Cruise Compass (brochure) highlighted the two show times. Unfortunately, the night before the scheduled concerts, the decisions was made to change the concert from public to a private concert, only for certain tier levels. Shame on Royal. Being the 50th Birthday Cruise and with 5000 passengers on board we expected a fair amount of prizes. Only 4 cruises were given away. Two of the cruises were 4 day cruises. There was a two day inaugural Odyssey Cruise and the Grand Prize cruiser was a 7 day Caribbean cruise. 5000 passenger and thats the boldest that Royal got. The other prizes were small, minimal and insignificant.
In addition to the Birthday Fiasco it was quite evident that Royal Caribbean has cut down one staffing in much needed areas as follows:
1. Security - Crowd control was scary because there was none. Im almost sure this was part of the reason for the concert change.
2. Entertainment - What entertainment ???? If there was a entertainment staff it consisted of the very nice Brazilian/Asian man and his sidekick Michael the entertainment director
3. Speaking of directors, where in the world was Ken Rush???
4. No wait staff for drinks or clean up. They really cut down in this area
5. Cleaning staff - Remember how cruise staff were constantly cleaning the elevators and handrails, well that's a thing of the pass.
6. Housekeeping- It appears that the room stewards have had an increase in the number of rooms assigned to them. This results in passageways that seem to always have cleaning carts etc... obstructing the walkway.
On a positive note our cabin was cleaned daily and very spacious.The shows are great. The food was fabulous. Our dining room waiters were the best ever. Our room steward was fantastic. This being said I believe Royal has made changes that don't acommodate the over 50 crowd. That may be the route they have chosen to go. Luckily we have other options.
In conclusion I will never take a President's Cruise. Also, my husband and I who consider ourselves to be loyal to royal, will be looking at other cruise lines.
- Read more Royal Caribbean Symphony of the Seas Reviews
- Read Cruise Critic's Royal Caribbean Symphony of the Seas Review
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
San Juangreat for shopping eating and excursionsView All 3,805 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review