3. Norwegian Sun
Please understand that this is just my opinion and experience on the Norwegian Sun out of Port Canaveral on October 31, 2019. I'll break it down into categories. Embarkation: Pretty good although there was some wait. Debarkation: Very good. Staff that greets you on and off the ship: Excellent and smiling all of the time. Room: Clean and a good size. Room Steward: Best thing about the cruise. He was perfect, addressed us by name, very friendly and worked hard. Ship: Older and small (comparatively) but OK. Built in 2001, refurbished in 2018. Cruise director: I couldn't stand her. Annoying. Phony. Said the same thing every time you saw her. Very poor choice having her for social director etc. Second least favorite subject about the cruise. Bartenders: In most cases or at least in many, terrible and slow. No sense of urgency. Worst thing about the cruise was the very long wait to get a beverage. People in line complaining. Allowing of people to cut in front up to bar ignoring line. Very long wait for a drink. Slow moving bartenders and this clearly showed me a lack of desire to ever get the drink package again. Seriously terrible experience. Occasionally, not as horrible as the norm. To this minute it pisses me off at the time wasted in line trying to get a drink, especially at pool area but not good in any area where people gathered. And I am not a big drinker, but because of the long waits, I'll never buy the package again. Food: Average and repeated selections far too often at both the dinner indoor restaurants as well as the lunch buffets. Sometimes cold. This was the third letdown. Yes you could eat a burger, hot dog or pizza anytime. But I expected more and I do NOT expect much in the line of decent food. Menu items for dinner in the regular restaurants were repeated several days. In 29 cruises, this cruise was the worst. I did not eat at any of the pay extra restaurants which may have been better but I have a problem paying for a cruise and then being expected to go to those restaurants for great food. Too much of this pay extra for this and that seems to be the norm on cruising these days. Thus, the title of my review....Cruising, going downhill fast. Wait staff in all restaurants: Fantastic, friendly, fast most of the time. The waiters and busboys ALMOST made up for the food variety and quality. Don't get me wrong, food was ok, even good, but repeated. But the wait staff in the restaurants was great. And the same with the people cleaning up and greeting you. Entertainment: Horrible shows, dancers and music. Terrible stage lighting and presentation. One exception was the guitar player in the Windjammer lounge as he was pretty good. But almost all other musicians were really bad, sorry but true. Private Island: Not bad, slow bartenders. If it's just that there are too many people, add a few more bartenders, or another bar or two. Long lines to get a drink take up too much of your shore fun time. Final thoughts: I go on a cruise to enjoy entertainment, have a drink or two from time to time, enjoy good food and relax like most others. But I was disappointed in the food to some degree although it was OK and not my biggest gripe. But the entertainment, long lines at most bars to get a drink, the annoying cruise director and the poor music choices were the reason that I'll choose another cruise line next time. There was just not enough fun entertainment, after the sun went down. The pool was fine, everybody that served food or cleaned your room or greeted you doing anything other than make a drink was fantastic, friendly and hard working. But the lackadaisical attitude of the bartenders and their slow movement was bad. I've been on 29 cruises (on 4 cruise lines) and will try the others or a new one next time. It's almost a shame how some people try so hard that earn so little and yet the top management make poor choices on a good part of what makes or breaks your fun cruise ship experience. Advice to Norwegian: Change cruise director, revamp food choices, add better entertainment and get rid of most that you have now. Add at least one decent band that can play some classical rock and popular music. Train or replace bartenders with energetic young people and enforce the "take your turn" fairness. And thank and keep and appreciate all smiling waiters, room stewards etc.

Going downhill fast, the good and the bad of my experience on the Norwegian Sun

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by funtravelguy

• Sail Date: October 2019
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Inside

Embarkation: Pretty good although there was some wait.

Debarkation: Very good.

Room: Clean and a good size.

funtravelguy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Inside
Cabin IX
Large inside cabin on deck 10 with a fantastic cabin steward.
Biscayne Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins