3. Crown Princess
Departure City: Unlike the dozen or so times before, we had a full day in FLL to finally explore downtown and specifically Los Olas Boulevard. We were not disappointed with our decision as the restaurants, shops and galleries made for a really fun day. We used Uber to get around found it to be a convenient and inexpensive mode of transportation. I would highly recommend visiting this area if you haven't already. Embarkation: The following day we packed up (again) and decided to take the hotel shuttle to the ship. What a mistake - We will never do that again. We ended up loading three groups for three different ships and paid $19 for a $12 Uber or Cab ride. So getting to the ship took a little longer than expected, but that time was made by using the Medallion to embark. We may have spent 10 minutes total in the terminal. I've heard a lot of negativity about using Ocean Medallion, but we really liked it's efficiency. Ship: I've read many reviews of the Crown Princess and unfortunately it seems most are written by those with sub par experiences. I, on the other hand, thought the ship was great. Our first voyage on the Crown was back when the ship was new and sure it a little worn in spots, but the crew worked tirelessly to keep it as bright and shiny as possible. The layout is such that you can get everywhere fairly quickly. Cabin: We booked a Mini-Suite on the Dolphin deck and it was more than enough room for the both of us. Three things that were really memorable. 1) the bed and the pillows - amazing. 2) the balcony size - compared to the Regal it was huge. 3) the two fairly large TVs. - really two large TVs. We left the ship map information on one used the other to watch what we wanted. Dining: We ate in the Michelangelo's dining room all but one night. The food was great. Was it five star - probably not, but if you couldn't find a good meal here you were predisposed to not liking in advance. The service here was impeccable. I attribute this to the very traditional hierarchy Princess uses in their dining rooms. We've recently took test drives on NCL and RC and unlike Princess they really drove you to their specialty restaurants. We did eat in the Crown Grill for our anniversary and it was special, but we could have easily eaten in the main dining room and not been disappointed every night. The deserts are the best! Entertainment and Activities: So maybe here I would like to give two grades. The comedian had me laughing out of my chair. We went and saw him twice and had to stand to see him the second time. On the other hand the singers and dancers were not that good. Maybe it was just the singers. Let 's attribute it to an off night and I'll leave it at that. Service: We spent some time if four of five areas regularly during the day - Vines, International Café, Skywalkers (for the Platinum/Elite get together), Michelangelo's, Gym/Spa and of course our Cabin. Everyone was a pleasure to be with. Maybe it was the Medallion, but they all seemed to know your name and what you liked. I can't say enough about the crew and how well we were cared for during the trip. Ports and Excursions: This is probably the first cruise we decided not to plan any excursions and play it by ear. It worked out great. We shopped in St Thomas. We spent a few hours in Princess World Jewelers - the fed us lunch and a number of "Bushwhackers" what every they might have been. We waked six miles - including a hike to the top of Fort George in Grenada. Went to Starbucks and Iguana Joes in Aruba. Finally checked out the salt plant in Bonaire and for the first time ever - just stayed on board while in Dominica. I'm now a fan of the no plan plan. Disembarkation: Ok - here we took a bit of a risk by booking a flight that left FLL at 1025 am. We went to the desk early and told them of our departure time and they put us in the Aqua 1 group with a scheduled time of 7:45. For the some reason the ship started the disembarkation process a little late, but we picked up our luggage at 8:30 we cleared customs, caught a cab, checked our bags and drinking mimosa's right around 9:00am. I have no idea why we worried. In Summary: I would cruise on Crown Princess in a heartbeat. Although we enjoyed the larger Regal, this ship seemed to fit us just right.

Amazing Crew on the Crown made for an Excellent Trip