3. Norwegian Breakaway
NCL did many things well: entertainment was excellent. Dining in Manhattan Room was wonderful. Unfortunatel, they missed small, easy things: pool bartender pours my beer so fast it overflows the cup and then he throws the bottle with 1/3 of the beer left in the trash - I felt like I was privileged to be served at all! ( That was embarkation day - I didn't buy another drink at the pool all week ….) Inconsistent and inaccurate information: daily FreeStyle states Spice H2O closes at 6:00pm - we go there at 5:30pm (Saturday) and it's closed. Their electronic signage was embarrassingly wrong: "Casino is closed - no smoking", but it's open and filled with smokers. We asked at O'Sheehan's if we could get a banana split “to go”. The hostess had to check with her supervisor, who said "No".(Why not? We should have just sat down, ordered it, and then left with it.) I asked my cabin steward if he could get a different brand of beer (Goose Island IPA) for my mini-fridge - he said I'd have to call the bar-man. He also couldn't provide Earl Grey tea instead of the standard tea. Why not? These are simple things. We needed another towel to shower before dinner. I called the Housekeeping number on the phone and got a recording (“Try again later”), every time, with no way to leave a message for my cabin steward. My wife stopped another steward and asked if we could get a towel - he said "No", they were all required to be at a "Briefing". It appears they train their people to prioritize meetings over customer service - too bad. It annoys me that we can't bring water onboard, even if we paid for their (over-priced, filtered) water, took it off ship for an excursion - we still can't bring any we didn't consume back on board! We were charged $3.00 plus a 20% gratuity for a soda in the Moderno restaurant - but it's a glass full of ice with only three or four ounces of soda! For that price I would expect a full 12oz. NCL did many little things that irritated me, (which I think can be easily corrected), that they detracted from the things I loved: “Rock of Ages” musical, “Burn the Floor “ dance show, Manhattan room dining (except the last night, when we had very poor service as the dining room thinned out after 9:00pm). I loved the music and dancing in the Manhattan Room. The food was good – very good! The band at Syd's Pour House was top notch - much better than expected. Every comedian had me laughing so hard tears rolled down my cheeks. NCL did many difficult things very well - and completely dropped the ball on many simple things. Their web-site also is difficult to use and we couldn't find information we needed. For example, they had no information about the Ferry from Harvest Caye to Placencia. The schedule is fixed and doesn't change, according to the staff we spoke to on the Island. Because we didn't know this ahead of time, we couldn’t arrange our excursions as we would like. This should be simple to fix. Overall, there were many things I loved, and many things that irritated me. I will be comparing other lines with NCL before our next cruise.

NCL did well on the big things, but dropped the ball on many small things

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by swguy

• Sail Date: October 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

swguy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BD
It was large enough. Adequate storage space. Balcony big enough for two people to relax. Bathroom was nice.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins