3. Celebrity Millennium
My husband had been wanting to return to Asia, and I suggested this cruise. It was supposed to be 14 days, but typhoon Hagibis delayed our departure for two days. Pro #1, Celebrity was very generous with the compensation they offered, including refundable on-board credit and future cruise credit. However, this brings me to my first con, which is misleading e-mails. After booking this cruise, a blanket email was sent out stating that we needed a Chinese visa and we would need to be fingerprinted. I had already looked into the requirements for a Chinese visa and believed we didn’t need one with our itinerary. Upon calling Celebrity, they confirmed that we would not need a visa. When I suggested that perhaps their email should mention other options, they explained they prefer to have individual customers call in and confirm their personal requirements directly with Celebrity. (Upon reading posts from our cruise and similar cruises on Cruise Critic, this issue is a cause for concern for many travelers.) We received another misleading email after our cruise was postponed, saying we had missed the ship and giving us information on how to catch up with it. This email was sent out accidentally to everyone, and again it caused a lot of concern. Getting to the ship was also a bit of a nightmare, which is con #2. We had booked transfers from the airport in Tokyo. There was no dedicated place to sit and wait for the bus. We landed at about 2:30 and around 4:30 an agent took us to an outdoor area where we waited another half hour. It was windy and raining lightly and not very warm. Upon getting to the port, there was no canopy to unload under, so we waited in the rain while the bags were being unloaded. The actual process of checking in and boarding was quick and easy, which was a plus! This was a very busy cruise of 12 days, with only one sea day. There was a free shuttle to the center of town in many of the ports. We did a variety of shore excursions; two private, two through the ship, two days where we just got taxis, and days where we used the shuttle service and explored on our own. I have no complaints about the ship excursions. When we hired taxis, our taxi drivers had a translator program on their phone, and they got us where we wanted to be. We were very happy with the service they provided. I thought that there was lots of variety in the main dining room, and I was happy with most of the dinners we had there. The servers and wine steward were friendly and personable. We had select dining, and we didn’t have any trouble reserving the same time and table for every night. Breakfast and lunch we ate in the buffet, unless we were out and about exploring a port. As a sandwich and salad kind of person, I was very happy with the selection and freshness of the ingredients. My husband often had pasta cooked to order, and he seemed happy with his selections, too. The pizza was also a favorite. We enjoyed the Sunset Bar on the back deck, and the Rendevous Bar on deck four. We loved the servers in both bars. Con #3, however, is that sometimes it seemed that options for bars during the day are limited. For example, the bar on deck twelve, forward on the ship, (I always call it the Crows Nest!) did not open until 7:00 or 7:30 at night. One night when we stopped up there, it was open for Elite members only. We’ve cruised a lot on Holland America, and we’ve enjoyed having bloody Mary’s in the forward bar during the day. We really missed that! One of my favorite things on a cruise is to connect with the crew and staff, and Celebrity did not disappoint in this area. The cruise director and many crew members were very visible throughout the cruise, and as always, I was amazed at the staff members that remember our names almost immediately. So even though there were some cons, the wonderful staff, comfortable cabin, and satisfactory food made our overall experience very good. P.S. A word about disembarkation. I feel that Celebrity did a good job of preparing us for disembarkation in China. But we still waited in line a long time at immigration. Just be patient; everyone is in the same situation.

The pros outweigh the cons

Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by musiclovingmom

• Sail Date: October 2019
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2C

musiclovingmom’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Millennium price drops

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2C
Cabin 2C
We had a veranda cabin on deck 6. I really liked the location. It was very quiet, and convenient to the forward elevators. One floor down was Cafe Bacio, so it was easy to get a latte and a pastry in the morning. Cabin tip: there are no hooks on the walls, except robe hooks on the bathroom door. I had brought extra magnetic hooks with me which came in handy. I always bring extra hangers, too. There were no under-the-bed drawers, but we made careful use of all the available shelves, drawers, and cupboards, and found a place for everything.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins