3. Viking Star
First time on Viking and now I have no choice but to only use them. Have cruised on three other lines but once you go Viking it sets a standard that can't be matched. The ship, rooms, staff, food, drinks, etc., etc. are such a step above anyone else we have been with. It seemed like everyone of the staff knew are first names within 24 hours on being on board. I was especially impressed with stability of the ship. On our "day at sea" we encountered some rough weather but you didn't notice any extra movement of the ship. The rooms and amenities were fabulous. Can't beat it!! I would rate everything about our cruise as excellent with the understanding you pay for what you get. Not the cheapo cruise line but if you want an experience that you will remember then go Viking. Our excursions were mostly the included ones with the exception of Naples & Rome. For these we did a private tour with Italytours.EU. Would recommend them highly. Pricing is great and we had our 4 people in our own van with private guides and skip the lines for all attractions. Super job done by this tour group.

Venice to Barcelona

Viking Star Cruise Review by Rosemarycanalcruiser

Rosemarycanalcruiser’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Star price drops

Very roomy and immaculate. Bathrooms are fabulous. Heated floor just adds to the class.
Best cruise room we have ever had.

• Barcelona
    Barcelona is a beautiful city except for a lot of graffiti in so many areas.
    View All 2,278 Barcelona Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Barcelona Cruise Port Review
  • Corfu
    Good tour. The walk to the top of the fortress is worth it. Great shopping. Next time I would take an outside the city tour to see more of the Greek Isle area.
    View All 681 Corfu Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Corfu Cruise Port Review
  • Dubrovnik
    Dubrovnik was one of the best stops. Would definitely go back there.
    View All 1,219 Dubrovnik Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Dubrovnik Cruise Port Review
  • Leaning Tower of Pisa
    Bucket list thing to do. Did it, now I'm happy. Way too crowded. Also, they are working to straighten the tower up. What happens in 100 years when it is just the Tower of Pisa?? Plus, Venice and other cities have leaning towers also but they are not a tourist trap.
    View All 134 Leaning Tower of Pisa Reviews
  • Marseille
    Interesting port city worth visiting if you are there.
    View All 832 Marseille Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Marseille Cruise Port Review
  • Monte Carlo Walking Tour
    Like Pisa, Monaco is a nice place to visit but not a destination site. Unless you are Bill Gates! Visiting the Casino was sort of James Bond like, but it's no Vegas baby!!
    Very interesting to see how such a small country exists. Best part of this visit was the ship could not anchor off Monaco so we had to go to Viila-Franche and shuttle bus to Monaco. Drive was beautiful and we got to spend some time in Villa-Franche.
    View All 50 Monte Carlo Walking Tour Reviews
  • Private Tour
    Did a private tour with just my wife and the couple traveling with us. Eduardo our driver was absolutely great. Traveled to Amalfi coast to visit Positano and Sorrento. What a beautiful area. Would be a destination area for future vacation! Then went to Pompeii where we had a private guide with skip the line tickets. Only way to visit Pompeii. Learning the history and what life was like in the days before the eruption made you feel a part of it.
    View All 89 Private Tour Reviews
  • Private Tour
    Same as we did in Naples, had a private van for just the four of us. My wife & I had been to Rome previously but first time for the couple traveling with us. The drive from Civitavecchia was easy and enjoyable as the driver gave us many options of how we wanted to go through our day. We stopped a St. Paul's Basilica outside of Rome which was not even known to us as a part of the tour. Unbelievable place. Only one or two other tourists there. Driver said he liked to offer this because it was never crowded. We saw a lot of Basilca's and cathedrals on our trip but this one stands out as the one I remember most. We picked up our private guide (highly recommend) and spent the day visiting the Vatican City, Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and many other sites. Having a private guide for just the four of us and "skip the line tickets" at the Sistine chapel and Colosseum is the only way to go. Actually felt a little guilty walking past the long long lines of people waiting to get in. But since I was in a church I figured someone would forgive me!!! My only regret is that I didn't book more tours at other ports with Italytours.EU. Did it all online. Great company to work with.
    View All 146 Private Tour Reviews

While in Venice, take the water taxi to Murano. See the glass blowing exhibition. Really cool place and the water taxis are fun.

The very best Gondola ride in Venice is with Padoan Luca. Look him up online. I found him that way and booked no money up front. Read the other reviews on Luca and you will see why. Take the 75 minute tour. My wife, I and another couple we were traveling with. He is a great guide. Plus he can sing very well also!!