3. AmaSerena
This cruise was a classical-music themed charter, sailing from Amsterdam to Basel. Having sailed on a river cruise before with another company, I had a good idea of what to expect. The AmaSerena crew certainly lived up to expectations in terms of service at the front desk, housekeeping service in the cabins, and the all-important role of the Cruise Director -- Bojan did a marvellous job of organizing daily tours and activities for all of us to enjoy, all while dealing with the necessity to keep fitting the daily concert into the schedule on top of everything else. The three stars are for these aspects of the trip. The big disappointment was the service (or lack of it) in the dining room. And believe me, I am not a demanding, special-attention-greedy customer at all. Every day, at one or more of the meals, things went wrong either for me or for others at the table where I was sitting. Here are a few examples: -- two servers whose English was so poor that they could barely understand simple questions. The company advertises that English is the working language of the cruise. -- one server who was particularly grumpy in the mornings, and spent far more time talking with colleagues than helping customers. -- a server who poured coffee for two of six people at breakfast, then left and didn't return to pour for the other four. -- similar problem with wine at dinner. -- a salad delivered to the table without all the ingredients mentioned in the menu. -- several instances of people being given some dish other than what they had requested. AmaWaterways makes a big deal in their advertising of being a member of the international gourmet network, "La chaine des rotisseurs." The food by and large lived up to that reputation but the service definitely did not. And finally: when I submitted my customer survey at the end of the cruise, with contact details, I asked specifically for a personal contact to discuss these issues. I have not received any reply to this request. This cavalier attitude towards service and customer feedback is the biggest single reason why I don't plan on sailing with AmaWaterways again.

Beautiful Ship, Service was Lacking

AmaSerena Cruise Review by kenny654

• Sail Date: October 2019
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Stateroom with French balcony and outside balcony

Here are a few examples:

-- similar problem with wine at dinner.

AmaWaterways, Manager, Customer Engagement has responded
Dear kenny654, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We sincerely apologize that your cruise and our service did not exceed your expectations and are disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction. We take your feedback seriously, as we are always trying to improve our practices and provide our guests with an unforgettable experience. We also apologize for not following up with you regarding your post-cruise survey - we will have our customer relations team contact you. If you would like to reach our customer relations team directly, kindly email customerrelations@amawaterways.com. Your feedback is truly important to us, and we thank you for cruising with us. Warm regards, From all of us at AmaWaterways
kenny654’s Full Rating Summary
Get AmaWaterways AmaSerena price drops

Stateroom with French balcony and outside balcony
Cabin BB
The outside balcony sounds like an attractive feature, but it uses up a lot of space in the room without giving much space for the user who wants to sit outside. Inside space becomes extra-tight around the bed(s) as a result. Otherwise, the cabin is lovely and very comfortable.
Cello Deck Balcony Cabins

• Cologne Old Town
    Very enjoyable walk through the old town area, with ample time to visit and look around inside the beautiful cathedral.
    View All 43 Cologne Old Town Reviews
  • Heidelberg Castle
    Excellent walking tour of the castle, followed by funicular ride down into the old town and time to explore independently. The ship actually docked at Ludwigshafen on the Rhine, which meant that the tour began and ended with a 50-minute coach ride.
    View All 155 Heidelberg Castle Reviews
  • Le Petite France
    A very good tour through the historic Petite France area with time to visit the Cathedral at the end. Not the cruise line's fault that buses have to park a considerable distance away and visitors have to walk farther on their own feet than at most ports.
    View All 68 Le Petite France Reviews