3. Celebrity Edge
The cruise itinerary and ports were fine. Celebrity excursions were too crowded, too long for what was seen, buses were often hot, and guides would not control guests who took 20 minutes when only 10 was allotted for stop. The new balcony cabin layouts are excellent. We really liked our cabin and the included balcony. However, we missed the sky lounge. The ship was confusing in that it had a lot of wasted space and smaller public areas than the Solstice ships. We didn't care for the Martini Bar - Dance area, way too small. There are a lack of decent bars on the Edge, the Solstice Class ships had a much better layout with better bars and bartenders. We usually find one or two really good bartenders on a ship, but on the Edge the bartenders are always trying to change the way a drink is made. In the Eden Bar they pride themselves on Artisan Drinks (really they aren't as good as normally made drinks). We had trouble finding anyone that could make a decent Old Fashion. One time my wife and I went to a bar and ordered a Decoy wine and an Old Fashion made with Bullitt Bourbon. First they said they were out of Decoy, then they said they were out of Bullitt then they made my Old Fashion with some strange bitters. I asked why they didn't use the Angostura Bitters and they said they were out of that too. Bad bar management. The Magic Carpet was probably a good idea on paper, but in reality it is no big deal.. The theater, while new and having all the latest bells and whistles, was not anywhere near as comfortable as the redone Summitt or any of the Solstice Class ships. Finally, we get to Eden, the pride of the ship. As mentioned before the bar and the bartenders are different and not that good. The room tends to get hot from the sun, I would hate to be in it on a summer day in the Mediterranean. But the interactive entertainment was the most off-putting. I guess if you like weird and actors getting in your face blowing a flute then you would like it, but nobody we talked with cared for this entertainment. We have sailed 16 cruises, 10 with Celebrity, so we think we know a bit about comparing ships and we won't sail on the Edge again. The majority of the cruisers we talked with agreed, the new cabins are nice but the rest of the ship is just a bit over the Edge and not worth a second try.

Edge - Not My Cup Of Tea