3. Carnival Splendor
As my husband had just retired it was time for us to try a longer cruise and The Splendour Journey Cruise of 24 days looked perfect. After a bit of a problem getting onto the ship (3 hour wait) due to technical issues with collecting passports and other paperwork, we were onboard. Our cabin was an inside on deck 6 midships. It was a nice size and had plenty of wardrobe and drawer space. It has an un stocked fridge which was very handy for the sodas and water we brought on board. The shower was adequate but has a curtain, the sort that grabs you during the shower for a slow dance! There are shower gel and shampoo dispensers in the cubicle. We had a problem with the 2 single beds which had been pushed together to make a double bed, on previous lines the mattresses had been zipped together but not on Splendor I woke a couple of times almost down the hole in the middle of the bed. This ship has unusual décor she is all pink and pearls. I loved it I felt like I was in a mermaid's palace. A lot of people were hoping she was going to be changed in the dry dock she is undergoing as I type. But no she is staying pretty in pink I am glad to say. The sailing was very smooth the whole journey, no sun shone for us we had many cooling showers but it was a welcome distraction from the searing heat and 80% plus humidity. We spent our sea days mostly on serenity deck where there are lovely padded sunbeds and cabanas. There is a bar from 10 til dusk. It was a great place for reading the only interruptions were the bean bag toss and mini golf competitions on the deck above, but it was nice to hear people having fun. I let Carnival know in advance that I have a dairy allergy, tried to see the Maître'd on boarding but due to the tech problems it was late and not possible. It was a bit hit and miss at first. I was given the menu the evening before to make my choices. A great idea in practice but when the chef deemed my choices were not available to be made dairy free he often did not send a substitute. Meaning my husbands 's meal was either over or cold by the time my meal arrived. We hit a few bumps in the road when I was served such boring food I ended up in tears. After a good talk to the Maître'd and Sheena the diet coordinator things did improve. I had some lovely meals and the chef's choice deserts were great. I had soya custard with fruit, fruit crumbles, cakes, sorbet, and of course the dairy free Carnival Melting cake which was delightful. I was disappointed that there were no soya yogurts at breakfast but the chef did make some lovely pancakes for me. If you order chef's choice for breakfast you will get dairy free oatmeal with nuts and fruit, avocado on toast with or without poached eggs. and often pancakes too. The cruise director was Lee Mason (good morning Carnival Splendor Family this is Lee your cruise director) he is amazing, the best one yet. He is so hard working and always makes time to chat to passengers. The captain called him a Duracell bunny as he never stops. He even got the chance to shout out - Good Morning Vietnam in memory of Robin Williams and our many veterans of that war who were on board. We had a military appreciation service on the morning we arrived in Vietnam for all service veterans. We were entertained day and night always plenty to do, which was important on such a long cruise. The viva variety acts were great magicians, jugglers, singers trumpet players. Ventriloquists, the list goes on. The shows were amazing we had shows in the afternoon as well as the evening. We even had a first time show with our pianist putting on a full tribute show to Elton John the place was packed and the show was amazing. The staff from Thailand and Bali put on shows in the afternoon also showing off their talents with their national dances. The staff from top to bottom of the ship were fantastic, nothing was ever too much trouble. From guest services to the dining room smiles and great service. Sevorina greeted us with a wave and a smile each evening and found us a lovely window seat most days. Apple and Sheena recovered my order and escorted us to our seats, we had anytime dining. Our main waiters was Iwayan, but we had many more who looked after us so well. I must mention Jeffrey who when I ordered a steak sandwich at lunch and was told I couldn't have it due to the sauce, went back up to the chef and insisted I got my sandwich. I did and it was delicious with a dairy free sauce. We booked 2 of our our trips with another passenger called Theresa this was for Kota Kinabalu in Borneo and Vietnam. Both trips were amazing. I would certainly do it again. In Honalulu we took a trip with a local from the port building and got great value for money, we saw a lot of the Island and got some shopping time in Waikiki too. In Guam we just pottered around the town after taking the free shuttle bus. We were greeted by 3 beauty queens in Guam who presented us with shell Lai's. Such a treat. When we sailed into Singapore it was with a heavy heart that we debarked. We self debarked and was off the ship by 7.30am. A very well organised team got the whole ship emptied by 10.30 so she could sail off to her dry dock. Thankyou Erica and team. Would I sail with Carnival again? Yes it is different but in a good way. We had a great Captain he was around chatting at some point in each day. We had a great cruise director in Lee and his Boss Erica worked hard getting everything organised for us pre sailing. So it is a definite yes. Would I choose a longer cruise again 24days plus? YES I would it went by in a flash and I did not want it to end.

Splendifourous Journey Cruise

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Tinatots

Tinatots’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Splendor price drops

Good size cabin, would be better if the beds were zipped together when in double formation. Plenty of wardrobe and shelf space.
  Carnival Splendor Deck Plans