Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review

Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by virgincruiserchick

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: the Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

I chose this 15 day Mediterranean cruise because of the amazing destinations. If it hadn’t been for the amazing destinations we visited, we would’ve jumped overboard. Terrible... read on

Great selection of food in the buffet & it tasted nice. The restaurants were average eg tough steak, poor menu selection. But if the rooms aren’t cleaned properly, is the ship kitchen clean... who knows... read on

One power point in the main part of the cabin & one power point in the bathroom for a shaver etc & there’s a wall hair dryer. So if you need another power point for a CPAP machine or an essential power device, you’re screwed. So remember to bring your extension power cord & power board along. Ridiculous!! Poor design.

The housekeeping staff don’t replaced soiled bed linen or towels. They just flip the sheet/doona cover around so you can’t see the stains & our dirty towels were re-hung again. Cost cutting obviously. And who knows the last time those mattress protectors (non-waterproof) were sanitised. Very unhygienic. Ewwww!!

The toilet doorway opening was so narrow, you had breathe out & suck in your stomach to get in/out so, if you’re a fuller figured person, you’re screwed. You’ll have to go & find a public toilet on the ship to use. My partner is disabled, so major issues there. Even though we were told this ship caters for people with disabilities. Just something they say to get your money, then you’re screwed.

The vacuum toilet blocked the first day of the cruise & overflowed onto the floor. And continually blocking throughout the cruise, even though we were careful with toilet paper amount. Apparently blocked toilets are a common issues on this ship.

Carpet wasn’t vacuumed properly.

And whatever you do, make sure you have plenty of spare money tucked away. The first night on the ship, my partner got a urinary tract infection. He went down to the medical centre/hospital & was treated with antibiotics (intravenously twice daily for the first 4 days-1 hour each time), then oral antibiotics, blood pressure check each time he visited the clinic at $150USD each time. Temperature check each time at a cost. Pulse check every time at a cost. Plus a blood test/results & any other routine examinations & routine services... all added up to $13,000AUD plus just for an UTI. If you need to use this service, you have to pay for the use of this service which they charge your credit/debit card each procedure each visit. So make sure you’re rich, just in case you become sick. And with a ship load of people, the chances are extremely high. One 91yo gentleman was being treated for pneumonia & told us that he can’t afford to have a holiday next year. Poor man, he was so sad.

And then there’s the waiting times for the lifts at meal times, shore excursion times etc., which my partner had to use because he has Parkinson’s disease & can’t manage stairs. The disembark time with the lifts was so busy, I had to take our 2 full backpacks & manual wheelchair down 14 flights of stairs from level 11 to level 4, while my partner had to wait until one of the lifts had room for him to enter. The able bodied people could disembark at level 7. What a nightmare for people with a disability.

And each time we had a shore excursion, these annoying photographers would try to get you to have your picture taken, just so they could add more cost to your onboard account, which you may not be aware has been charged to your onboard account, even though you don’t order a photo from them.

And level 7 is another con just to try & suck you in to buying what you think is a discounted price, only to find the duty free airport stores have better prices. Just a money grabbing adventure from marketing team for Norwegian Spirit.

And the amount of people queuing up for the Jacuzzi, which has everybody’s bodily juices eg. perspiration, body fat, dead skin cells, faeces, urine, sexual transmitted diseases & whatever else), NO WAY would I go in that concoction of unhygienic, hot, sizzling sludge. Vomit!!

This was our first experience of a cruise ship & our last. And unless we made an effort to talk to other passengers, nobody bothered to make conversation with us. And yet, other passengers who didn’t know each other, managed to make conservations with other strangers. We will always be friendly to others unless they can’t be bothered with us.

We will take our money & stay on land & spend way less money enjoying foreign countries where we can spend time in each place, at our own pace.

Then everyone at the end of the cruise gets charged with a $15USD a day multiplied by 15 days of the cruise, for service to each cabin. And the housekeeping staff didn’t give us clean linen if soiled... ahhhh no way. What a rip off!!

If you go on this cruise ship, you are feeding NCL & helping make them richer.

virgincruiserchick's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Balcony

Poor design. Very narrow toilet doorway & I wasn’t the only one to comment on that issue. No room for disabled people & their mobility equipment. Only one power point in the main cabin is ridiculous. The balcony is good. Don’t use breakable lampshades above the bed, use wall sconces instead. The bathroom door rattled when the ship rocked back & forwards. The shower pressure was very poor. I couldn’t wash the shampoo/ conditioner out of my hair properly. Don’t put carpet in there. Use durable vinyl flooring instead. And provide a container to store the ‘do not disturb’/‘please make up room’ signs near entrance to cabin. And put up a wall tv remote storage container so the tv remote doesn’t get

Southampton

We didn’t get any time to see Southampton as the ship embarked at 5pm. And we went straight from our hotel to the ship.

Le Havre

Only walked around Le Havre & the bus that took us from the city centre to the ship didn’t have a seat at the bus stop to sit on after wandering around town. Shore excursions were too expensive.

Monaco & Monte Carlo

Great tour but not for my disabled partner. He had to stay onboard.

View All 61 Monaco & Monte Carlo Reviews
Barcelona

I took the Barcelona Hop On Hop Off Bus which had extremely hard, slippery top level seats & again, my partner had to stay onboard because he couldn’t get down the steep gangway.

Florence & Pisa Tour

I took a NCL shore excursion which I enjoyed & again, my partner had to stay onboard because he couldn't get down the steep gangway.

View All 274 Florence & Pisa Tour Reviews

Had a brilliant time with only 4 people & the driver. He took us where we wanted to go & much cheaper than NCL shore excursion & again, my partner had to stay onboard because he couldn't get down the steep gangway.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

Hired a taxi & was cheaper than NCL excursion & again, my partner had to stay onboard because he couldn't get down the steep gangway.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

I went on a bus tour via a boat from Fira dock. We saw Oia & Fira & some free time in both towns. Great time had.

Athens (Piraeus)

Had a great excursion except the tour guide wasn't clear on our departure location & 3 of us had to catch a taxi back to port.

Split

Nobody wanted to come in a taxi with me so I hired the taxi driver for 3.5 hours. Great tour.

virgincruiserchick