My husband and I were on the Carnival Magic for the second time (first was August 2018). We took this cruise to celebrate both our 45th birthday. This was our 11th cruise, 10 with Carnival and 1 with RCCL.
Overall ship maintenance.
1. The most important issue (I think) comes from the A/C system! We've been roasting in our cabin, mislead by the guests service who called maintenance even though, that we learned later, they knew it wouldn't be fixed. Other passengers complained about it too and we all been told the problem would be fixed the next day but never happened. There were also some public areas where the A/C was barely to not working at all. Again, when people complained they were told that there was no problem!
2. This ship is way more rusty than all other ships we've been on, regardless of the class and age (we've been on Fantasy class, Conquest class and Dream class).
3. Throughout the week we could smell sewage odor in differents part of the ship. The first evening it was stronger in the Atrium and when guests service crew were asked about it they pretended not to smell anything and reply they would send someone to spray with air freshener!
4. Windows were so dirty that we couldn't take pictures through it. In the past we could see crew members hanging around the ship at every port of call to clean the windows and ship. By the amount of grime accumulated it seems like it's been a while since they did.
5. In the Lido dinning room, over the tables, there is air vents with nothing to prevent dirt from falling.
Food and drink...
1. We noticed a very big decrease in the quality of the food. I'm not saying the food was not good but the quality and taste in general wasn't what we normally see with Carnival. On the other hand we tried the steakhouse for the first time and it was amazing!
2. The water available on the Lido from the drink fountains tasted terrible and the limonade was way too strong. We've been drinking the ships water and limonade since our first cruise and never experienced something like that.
3. For the first time on any of our Carnival cruises, the service in the dinning room was average, at best. We experienced on our previous cruises excellente and personnalized service but on this particular one we felt neglected and rushed.
1. Our stateroom stewart was really nice and was doing a great job. When we told her about the room temperature she managed to find us a fan despite being rare due to the large number of cabins with A/C issues. She even wrote a special note on the mirror for our birthday.
2. From the public restrooms to the dinning rooms and the corridors, everything was really clean.
Entertainment and activities
1. The playlist production team was fantastic. It was their first week on the Magic and we couldn't notice any hesitation or discomfort between them.
2. The Cruise Director, Leigh, was doing a great job. He is enthusiastic and easy to approach.
3. We tried to go to the Punchliner comedy club 2 or 3 times but the club was already packed 30 minutes prior to the show or the line up to get in was so long we coudn't get in.
Ports of call
1. Half moon cay, as always is a nice stop. It's a perfect beach and relaxation day. The only thing I would say is there is not enough umbrellas.
2. Grand Turk was also really great. It's a really great place for people who enjoy snorkeling without spending big money on an excursion.
3. Amber Cove is a beautiful place with a pretty nice pool area. There is 2 waterslides that you can access for free and a zipline for which you have to pay.
In conclusion, I do not recommend the Magic until it has undergone major work. As for the ports of call, if you enjoy a lot of beach and pool these places are for you!