3. Norwegian Jade
I chose this cruise for its amazing itinerary which was going to 3 places I hadn't visited before. Embarkation in Rome was smooth & fast. I had stayed overnight at the Hilton Garden Hotel near the airport so I could take the NCL shuttle to the port & it worked out well. I really liked the hotel which included a nice breakfast, had a free shuttle to the airport & a nice restaurant so I would stay there again. The safety drill was held inside so that was good. I had obstructed oceanview cabin 8558 (easy number to remember) which was in a good location except for one possible negative which was the noise from Bliss could be heard in the cabin but only until 11:00 pm. It was nice to have O'Sheehans just along he hall & the theatre & Bliss just down one flight of stairs. My steward, who left in Valletta, was great & supplied me with lots of towel animals which I'd requested & ice every day. I use the water from the ice bucket to fill my water bottle each day. The meals on the ship were very good. I ate some breakfasts & lunches at O'Sheehans, but mostly used the MDRs , room service breakfast once & the buffet a couple of breakfasts. I like to be served. I preferred the smaller Alizar dining room to the Grand Pacific & asked for seating for 2 in the back part which I find less noisy. The tables were close enough that I could converse with people beside me if they wanted as I was travelling solo. Oh that reminds me there was a hosted solo meeting the 1st 2 nights of the cruise but not after since it was so port intensive. I did meet a couple of ladies who I shared my platinum meals with & attended shows together along with a solo male a few times. One strange thing this cruise was there was never a line at the internet cafe. The man there was helpful so I stopped by a few times. I always get internet as my perk as I travel solo so want to keep in touch with DH back home & post pictures on social media. That brings me to entertainment which was not as good as on other bigger ships I've been on IMO. I enjoy the production numbers but don't care for individual acts like magicians, singers & aerialists. There was no comedy at all on this cruise. The CD Dave & his staff were good. Oh another thing lacking was Dancing with the Stars which is usually such a hoot! There also wasn't much in the way of tv. I enjoyed the shore excursion presentation where Barbie mentionned to go out on deck port side around 8:45pm when leaving Messina to see the volcano erupting. I did & it did about every 6 or so minutes. I enjoyed the trivias except when Geo did them lol, they were too hard. It was fun to watch him leading the exercise class before 9:30 trivia. On the Jade they use the card system for events were you get signatures instead of prizes which you decide at the end depending on how many points you earn. I did buy a couple of FCCs & booked a TA cruise for April 2021, another cruise with an amazing, to me, itinerary. I also bought a couple of photos & liked that this small ship had the folder system so you didn't have to look all over the place for your pictures. This was a very port intensive cruise with only 1 sea day so busy busy! I got a sore throat so took it easy cancelling a couple of shore excursions & not getting off at a couple of places I'd already been to saving myself for the last day when I would visit Cinque Terre on a 9 1/2 hour tour. This is a place I've really wanted to see for ages & finally have! I chose purple luggage tags for disembarking at 9:15 but it was so smooth we got off the ship an hour before! I had purchased a private transfer to Rome airport with a Cruise Critic member & that worked out well. Must shout out to Darla & Rick who ran a really fun & efficient Meet & Greet supplying us with magnets of our trip. She also arranged several private excursions which turned out really nicely. After the cruise I spent one night at Fiumicino AIrport Deluxe 47 B&B which was cheap, offered a breakfast & a low cost shuttle. It was in a residential area & close to some shops so that was nice for finding a pizza place. This was the 1st time I'd had airport lounge access at both Toronto & Rome & was impressed with what they offered even though both were a little hard to find. This was an amazing cruise & I'm so happy I got to do it.

Amazing Itinerary, Great Cruise!

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by retiring soon

• Sail Date: October 2019
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Obstructed Oceanview

This was an amazing cruise & I'm so happy I got to do it.
retiring soon’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jade price drops

Obstructed Oceanview
Cabin OK
As I mentionned in my review this cabin was in a good location except for hearing noise (karaoke) or music from Bliss which ended fortunately at 11:00pm.
O'Sheehans was on the same floor & Bliss & the theatre, guest services etc just one deck down.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• City Tour
    This was an easy tour that only stopped at the base of the Acropolis for a while & also at the Olympic Stadium. I'd been up to the Acropolis before so didn't want to climb up there again.
    View All 155 City Tour Reviews
  • Cinque Terre
    This was the day I looked forward to most & what a lovely day it was.
    The weather was great so we were able to take the boat between 2 of the "lands". The guide was good & we had enough free time. We visited 3 places & took the train back to catch the bus.The scenery was beautiful & the rock formations very interesting as were a couple of churches we visited.
    View All 92 Cinque Terre Reviews
  • Malta (Valletta)
    This was a lovely tour with a great guide. We went to the Mdina & then walked through Valletta with the guide then had some free time.
    We visited a museum which was quite interesting
    The sail into Valletta was beautiful. There is an elevator that takes you to the upper Town. It's taken me 20 years to get here since my 1st Med cruise then couldn't call there. It was worth the wait.
    View All 13,326 Malta (Valletta) Cruise Port Reviews