Azamara Pursuit Cruise Review

Enjoyable cruise with a great itinerary

Azamara Pursuit Cruise Review by hiccups

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Club Veranda Stateroom

This was our third Azamara cruise--one each on Journey, Quest and now Pursuit. This was the best out of the three.

Our major dissatisfaction with the cruise came at the beginning with embarkation. We'd done online check-in and had our boarding passes on our phones, but the person at the terminal wouldn't accept them--she said we had to have a paper copy. Luckily I did have them on paper, although it took me a few minutes to find them. Once on the ship, check-in was in the Cabaret Lounge. During our online check-in, I'd provided credit card information for onboard charges. The crew member had no record of that, and I had to complete the forms again. We had one purchase beyond our OBC, and I noticed when I got home, it was charged to the credit card I'd provided during online check-in, not the one I'd given the crew member during the ship check-in. I'm not sure why we were told there was no CC on file, when clearly there was.

Our veranda cabin on Deck 7 was very nice with lots of storage, although I had to ask for extra hangers. I never met our cabin steward, but he kept the room in top shape all week. I have the same complaint about the small showers as most people, but it's manageable. For the first time I had trouble with the shower curtain clinging to me, which is an annoyance. I also wish the showers had a foot rest for shaving. I liked the recent addition of the nightlight in the bathroom.

The food on Pursuit was the best we've had on Azamara. I've never been a fan of Azamara's pasta dishes, as I've found them bland. I had a ravioli appetizer that had a wonderful sauce with a nice spicy finish. The filet served for surf and turf was wonderful. I was pleasantly surprised by dinner at The Patio, because in the past the meats were not good quality, and overcooked. I had a beef paillard (a thin steak) that was delicious. One thing I wish the Patio on all Azamara ships would improve is their hamburgers. On all three ships, I've found the quality and taste lacking. My husband said the wings were very good, although if you like them spicy, you have to request double or triple sauce.

The ports on this itinerary (Mediterranean Islands) were great. In particular we enjoyed Sardinia and Mallorca. I'd do this itinerary again simply because there is so much to see. We had one missed port (Tarragona) due to civil protests, but Azamara went above and beyond by providing each cabin with OBC as compensation. Nice touch! We had enough in onboard purchases to qualify for a VAT refund, and while Azamara provides the paperwork, there weren't any instructions on what to do with the form, so I didn't know it needed to be stamped at the airport. An instruction sheet would have been useful for us.

We didn't attend any of the shows, but we enjoyed the pianist/singer that was in the Spirits Lounge. We also liked the extra seating in that area in place of the casino--the space was well-used every time we were there.

I took one Azamara excursion (a bicycling excursion) and wasn't very satisfied. The group was too large and the guide was difficult to hear. Plus of course as a ship's excursion, it was expensive.

We started cruising with Azamara due to their partnership with PerryGolf, and continue to book the PerryGolf cruises. Even without the golf, though, as long as we can find Azamara cruises with interesting itineraries at a price that fits our budget, we'll continue to sail with Azamara.

hiccups's Full Rating Summary

Club Veranda Stateroom

Very nice cabin with a good location--we'd book this cabin again.

hiccups