MSC Meraviglia Cruise Review

MSC Strikes Out Again In Its USA Debut With Another Great Ship!

MSC Meraviglia Cruise Review by carprinroy

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Fantastica Inside Stateroom

1: Background information: I've been on nearly sixty cruises and only once have things been worse. I will never critic poorly things that happen due to nature and anything beyond the cruise lines control. I've traveled on the MSC seaside and though a very nice ship my experience was less than expected.

2: Ship information: I chose the ship due to its technology of which I read about and its departure out of New York and my living in the area.

3: Activities: I must say that offerings for the active were minimal. One senior couple said they played cards so much they got tired of looking at each other.

4: Service: I cannot think of ANY service from the front desk, dining, internet assistance, account setup, casino cash in, news of the world or much of anything else that could be rated even average. They definitely put the word "Line" in Cruise Line since nearly everything had a line. After falling on the deck outside the whirlpool area I visited medical. The female physician took a cursory look and offered cream and a pain killer. I informed her of my recent major surgery on the area and that spurred nothing. She did not even bother to take my name.

5: Port & shore excursions: First one Sydney skipped, Corner Brooked really tiny. The amount of peoples on the ship is 30 percent the size of the town. Charlottetown nice and would have been better but nature (rain) did us in. Quebec was great but the second day was 30 minutes. We departed at 12:30 am.

6: Travel to embarkation port: It took me nearly four hours to be boarded. I watched them load luggage into the evening hours. The suffering of the passengers was everywhere. Did not seem as corporate thought this through.

7: Cabin: Described in detail below.

8: Dining: Breakfast buffet redundant and On par with most as I saw it. Lunch offerings in the buffet was sub par in my opinion. I was in Waves dining area in the evening. No attention to detail by the staff, sub par offerings and barely warm food on occasion. One constant in the buffet was that they were more interested in selling drinks than cleaning the used tables.

Being solo I was able to just move the previous occupants leftovers to the side on many occasions. Cold coffee at stations, No cream for the coffee, ice cream but no spoons. It's all about the details at times.

9: Entertainment: The main shows were very good. Anything after that you had to wing it.

I have NEVER heard as many seniors complain of being bored.

10: Disembarkation: This worked out for me since I was in one of the early groups. Couldn't wait to leave I hate to say.

11: Summary: Two trips on MSC with basically the same poor results. In December I travel to Spain to cruise on their newest ship the Grandiosa. At this moment I can only hope.

carprinroy's Full Rating Summary

Fantastica Inside Stateroom

Nice sized cabin but storage space was minimal. Television offerings were beyond awful. Worst cabin steward I have ever had. I asked for ice at all times in the room. Day 1 got it at 10:30 pm, Day 2 after 8:00 pm, remainder of the cruise was when ever. Several times I got my own from the buffet. I fell on outside of the whirlpool area around noon and limped back to my room. The room steward was present and I explained I needed ice for my knee right then. I excuse myself and when I return he has taken the ice bucket and returns it at night.

Since MSC provided champagne you would think he would keep ice in the bucket. Not a chance. On the final day he takes the champagne bucket, the bottle warms (netting was removed to prepare for opening) and champagne pops its own cork spilling everywhere on the desk.

Room towels for the pool area to be replaced as needed. I got one replaced only once.

Corner Brook

Visited the area on my own. Small and not much to do.

Quebec City

Visited on my own. Everyone should visit the city.

carprinroy