Caribbean Princess Cruise Review

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by jamanko

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Sailed with Princess to Canada and Northeastern US, 10/4 from Quebec City. As a Platinum member, despite a delay in boarding due to disinfecting the ship, I would say that the checking of luggage, checking-in, boarding ship, receiving luggage was the most efficient I have ever seen. However, once on board, the situation went downhill rapidly! I found the staff at Guest Services to be rude and very poor in resolving issues efficiently on at least 4 different episodes. I did not go on a vacation to get upset and get my blood pressure elevated. As far as a relaxing, recharging vacation, Princess failed miserably!

Upon boarding the ship, there were no staff members or uniformed officers to greet passengers, steer them toward their staterooms, make us feel like valued consumers. This was the first time in years of sailing that I have felt so neglected.

As a physician for over 35 years, I reviewed the Vessel Sanitation Program from the CDC, and I found Princess staff was inconsistent in the implementation of this program to the point of putting both passengers and staff at risk for Norovirus. Washing hands was a big deal, but servers wearing gloves in the buffets was hit/miss.

On both sea days, going for breakfast at Steamers/ the Plank, there was no place to sit, but there were plenty of dirty tables. Along with several other guests I bused my own table just to have a place to eat breakfast. Servers with coffee, tea, juices were not to be found on these two days.

If you are looking for a ship with a solarium or indoor pool, do not book the Caribbean Princess. Logic would dictate that a ship sailing a northern route in cold, damp weather in October, would have an indoor pool or solarium. This is my first of many cruises that did not have an indoor pool/solarium.

Supposedly, this ship has recently been renovated, but she looks and feels like an "old lady". Meal service in the Palm Dining Room was the same tired menu, some good some not so good. The Pub Lunch is not to be missed if you enjoy pub food- really good. Otherwise, our best meals were ashore.

These are the most egregious of the errors that paying guests should not have to tolerate, but the list is actually much longer. I have addressed these issues in a 4-5 page letter to the management team at Princess, and their brief telephone response at 6:00 PM on Friday night was most unsatisfactory and insulting. I was told they would not respond to my letter, addressing my concerns, in writing. Princess has lost a loyal customer!

jamanko's Full Rating Summary

Balcony

Cabin was clean, but dated. It was quiet. Bathroom was small with not enough room in shower to turn around, and I am not a large person.

Quebec City

We went to QC a day early, got our own maps, and did our own thing, hitting all of the highlights of the ship tours plus more.

Quebec City

We went to Quebec City a day early, got our own maps, and did our own walking tour over 2 days. Great experience without large groups from the ship.

Sydney (Nova Scotia)

Extensive walking tour on our own at our own pace. Easy city for walking.

Bar Harbor

We finished the City Tour and immediately got on the next bus for the narrated Cadillac Mountain tour which was beautiful, comfortable, and very informative. Highly recommend Ollys Trolleys!!

Bar Harbor

We got off of the ship and immediately walked over to Ollys Trolleys where we booked a narrated City Tour which was fantastic! It was 30 minutes, but showed us the highlights with lots of recommendations for our return later in the day.

Bar Harbor

After narrated City and Cadillac Mountain tours with Ollys Trolleys, we set out on foot to enjoy the sites and tastes of Bar Harbor. Beautiful city. Great day ashore.

Boston

We met family in Boston, traveling to the JFK Library which I had not visited since it opened. Beautiful facility bringing back good and not so good memories of teenage years. Traveled to crazy crowded/bust North End for Italian dinner and then to Modern Bakery to stand in line for yummy pasteries.

Saguenay

Small town with little to see or do. Waste of time getting off of ship!

jamanko