3. Celebrity Eclipse
We’ve been on a Eclipse before & had a great time, so when we were thinking about another cruise for our 50th anniversary & Eclipse was going from Vancouver to Hawaii, well, it was a nobrainer! We flew into Vancouver the day before & stayed at the Pan Pacific Hotel, a bit pricey but they bring your luggage to the ship (actually to our stateroom), sold. We’d stay there again if cruising from Vancouver. We did a trip out to Capilano Suspension Bridge (us & about 700 other folks). Great dinner with new friends at Old Spaghetti Factory in GasTown. Embarkation. We had breakfast at Pan Pacific & about 10am we strolled downstairs to checkin. We went directly to the counter, received our seapass, went thru customs & boarded! Seriously, from the time we got in the queue to get our seapass till we were onboard with our bubbly was under 10 minutes. Would’ve been less time but there was a lot of walking! Walked around as cabins weren’t ready yet, got our hot glass class appointment & then went to the concierge luncheon (recommend the short ribs!). Finished lunch & cabins were ready. Went to cabin & as promised, our luggage was at our cabin door! Our cabin was one we’ve enjoyed, 2105, great location by pool, elevator & one deck from Oceanview Buffet with a lovely sized balcony. Met our stateroom attendant, Christopher & we recognized each other from a previous cruise! He remembered that we prefer the cheese/fruit to the canapés (I have too many food allergies to chance what I don’t know) & that we like ice twice a day. He is a fabulous stateroom attendant, never had to ask for anything. Our few requests confirmed we got unpacked & went to our Cruise Critic Sailaway...it was a bit damp but over 100 folks braved the sheets of rain & enjoyed a meet. Five sea days, ahhh, total relaxation! First couple days were quite cool but there were many indoor activities. We had several fun Cruise Critic events scheduled over the sea days. First sea day was our Cruise Critic Meet n Mingle attended by over 200 people including Capt Leo, Dan the Hotel Director, Lauren the Cruise Director & many other officers. Capt Leo’s comment, wow I think everyone that was on the board came! (see they do read our comments!) Our gift exchange had 42 people (also huge!). We also did a cabin crawl (with over 40 people viewing many different styles of cabins). A slot pull, lots of fun & we actually won our money back! Our final sea day we had a Cruise Critic luncheon in the MDR that was attended by about 80 folks. We had a great Roll Call. The second sea day I did the Hot Glass blowing, what a lot of fun! I wish I’d signed up for more than one session, I wanted to make everything! I made a glass heart for our 50th anniversary & the girls engraved our names, date & 50th anniversary on the bottom (what a nice touch!). Bring your own bubble wrap (they wrap the items in packing paper) for travel. My heart weighed over 5 lbs! We had traditional 6pm dining with the best waitstaff we’ve had in absolutely years! Our waiter, Aartee, was truly superb, her attention to every detail was fabulous (especially with my food allergies); her assistant, Julianna, was delightful (friendly, unobtrusive & that great smile!). Our sommelier, Uliana, was great! She took me on as a challenge to break me out of my favored Conundrum Red, I had some fabulous wines (all by the glass) this cruise! She’ll be on our Reflection cruise in February, I certainly hope we get her as our sommelier! The food this cruise was also exceptional, hot foods hot & cold foods cold, great taste on everything. Our location in the MDR was closest to the entrance doors, so keeping hot foods hot must’ve been a true challenge. We did one specialty restaurant, Murano, it was fabulous for our anniversary. Lobster cooked at tableside with chateaubriand for 2 & strawberry bomb crepe for DH (cooked at tableside) & I had grand Marnier soufflé. Delectable food, good service (we preferred our MDR servers) We went to the Elite Coffee Break most mornings for lattes & a continental breakfast spread. The most fabulous spread I’ve ever seen. Rose, the Captains Club Hostess was her gracious self. We also attended the Elite Happy Hour in the Sky Lounge several times. Evenings saw us at several of the shows (when will Topper leave???) or the Martini Bar or World Class Bar chatting with friends & imbibing delightful concoctions. We were celebrating our 50th anniversary & had made mention of it in our cruise planner! Wow, they read that! We received a lovely bottle of champagne from Dan the Hotel Director; flowers & red wine from the Chief Housekeeper, a rose from Rose the amazing Captains Club Hostess, chocolate covered strawberries, balloons & a poster from Johnna the Concierge...WOW! Way more than anticipated & so much appreciated. We also had two of the wonderful chocolate mousse cakes (one at our MDR table & one in Murano) Land Ho! Five sea days in a row, just enough, we were ready to be on dry land. First port was Hilo for 2 days (could’ve used 3 days). We toured the National Volcano Park on our own with friends & had a great day! Second day in port we had a fantastic Celebrity Tour, Land of Frozen Fire (hope you get Donna as tour driver!). Highly recommend this tour, well paced, informative & perfectly sized at 20. Off to Kona & a private tour with C Big Island Tour for Historical Kona, Coffee Farm & Turtles. We had a great tour guide, Dre. Great tour (bit too long at coffee farm). Nice fish lunch (on our own). Fabulous pictures of the sea turtles. Off to Maui for two days. The only downside to our entire cruise was the absolutely terrible Celebrity excursion, Road to Hana. The tour was nothing like it was described, we’d been in the overcrowded bus (without anywhere to store our bags) for over an hour when the driver announces we won’t be doing the tour you expected. We’ll be coming back the winding road instead of continuing around the island (with all the places we wanted to see, the reason we’d booked the excursion). The restrooms at our few stops were deplorable, the “luncheon” was at a filthy city park & consisted of an unrefrigerated tortilla wrap with mystery meat (no choices), jalapeño potato chips & dry prepackaged cookies with two pieces of soggy fruit. I didn’t expect a 5star lunch, but I did expect something edible & properly refrigerated (I know they weren’t refrigerated as the boxes were stored under my seat (eliminating any foot room). This wasted 11 hours of what should’ve been a great day on Maui. The second day we wandered Lahaina on our own & has a great day (including the best shave ice I’ve ever had! We were back on board when the wildfire broke out closing the road & stranding 170 cruise people that eventually were evacuated by tender for over 2-1/2 miles of rough water (without any known injuries) a remarkable show of seamanship by Capt Leo & his crew that took many, many hours. We had friends involved in this evacuation that were highly complimentary of the rescue. The next day was disembarkation. We had a light breakfast in buffet, said goodbye to our fabulous stateroom attendant, Christopher & went to the Concierge disembark area with number 13. We sat down, the Concierge, Johnna came by & said your number is ready! Go to gangplank & Capt Leo is saying farewell to each person...such a nice touch, we thanked him for taking such good care of everyone the night before. Ok, off we go...that sad ding that your cruise is over We go down the escalator, grab a porter ( lots of luggage), get our bags & go straight to the taxi line where our porter grabbed us a mini van & we off to our week at the Hale Koa Hotel. From time we left Concierge departure until we left in our taxi less than 10 minutes total!!! This was definitely The easiest disembarkation (& embarkation) we’ve had in over 20 cruises, bravo Celebrity! The end of a fabulous cruise...would we do it again? You betcha!!!

50th Anniversary Hawaii cruise

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by awhfy

• Sail Date: September 2019
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class

The end of a fabulous cruise...would we do it again? You betcha!!!
awhfy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Eclipse price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C2 2105
Perfect location. Large balcony. Quiet cabin that was kept spotless by our room steward, Christopher
Resort Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Road to Hana
    Can I give a minus 10? Two hours into the cramped bus ride the driver says we’re not going to do the tour you signed up for, well be coming back same way. Unrefrigerated lunch at city Park with filthy restrooms & lots of trash. Definitely not what expected from a Celebrity excursion
    View All 99 Road to Hana Reviews