Total disappointment in the main dinning room Britannia (1) We are a party of six, setting of tables was unreasonably tight between tables. One end of our table was against a wall, waiters had to squeeze themselves to serve, particularly to the guest at the end.
(2) Menu was not appealing, its quality below average standard, most food on the menu remained unchanged throughout the voyage including Gala evening, some courses portion was exceptionally tiny. can’t imagine lobster bisque tasted like clam broth, onion soup was tasteless, poached pineapple liked something just out of the can.
(3) above (1 & 2) were reflected to a manageress when she approached us during dining time with a friendly smile, nothing happened. Nothing was even brought up as a courtesy when we met each other again.
(4) the sommelier was slippery, in the first evening, we ordered a bottle of white wine for only 4 guests, 2 guests were acholoic free. he intentionally finished the bottle in one shot without asking, he may hope to save the work to have wine chilled, or hope to get additional orders sooner, but of course he got the first wish fulfilled but not the other.
In the last evening, we ordered a “private label” red wine per his recommendation, I blamed myself didn’t check it before serving began, later on, we founf out the bottle was without a label on it. When he was questioned, the answer was “because it is a private label therefore without label” we never heard of such a ridiculous answer.
(5) visited Britannia for a sit down lunch, two managers were chatting by the entrance booth when we walked in. Despite of greetings right away , they only said Hi after they ended their conversation. Service of waiters were cold, too. Needless to say, from there on, we only went to buffet lunch.
(6) High tea was another disappointment which pissed us off totally. That is the reason I recorded it in deatail. It happened on the second day of voyage.
15:38 Two of us walked into the high tea ballroom, and sat down, we got no one serve us and waited for 10 minutes to get our first cup of tea.
15:48 we had our first cup of tea, finished it. It took another 12 minutes to have someone checked us out if a refill is required.
16:00 the most absurd thing happened. A waiter approached, but he was not asking whether we need anything even though two empty cups were sitting on the table explicitly. He picked up the jar of cream on our table , then offered it to the guests of the table next to us. After then, he asked ....do you need anything.......so on and so forth
Catering is the primary service that interact with guest daily on board the most, one can appreciate why I put such a poor ratings
Besides, below were my additional unfavourable experience on board
(7) drainage in the cabin had problems, need a plumber to get it fixed after two visits
(8) phone system was user unfriendly, difficult to navigate
(9) movies was old and running repeatedly on different days
(10) the meeting place on excursion was not printed on the coupons, thus created quite a confusions couple times.
Overall, the cabin was good and acceptable except the drainage was blocked, plumber was asked, it wasn’t fixed right the first time. He had to come the second time to get it fixed.
Steward Jerry was exceptional, he was efficient, hardworking and always made things right