• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

CHIPITN
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Oct 2019
Cabin: Aurea Balcony Stateroom

This cruise was a disaster from start to finish! I can't believe we paid so much and got so little in return. - Embarcation was a HUGE fail. There were no signs or people providing information regarding luggage at drop off. There were 2 stations to hand off luggage. We waited in one of the lines only to be told we were at the wrong place (EVEN) we needed to go to the other one (ODD). How were we supposed to know? The guys handling the luggage were extremely rude, but probably employed by the port not MSC. - Inside was chaos. I wish I had taken a picture. Thousands of passengers trying to make their way with no signs and very few staff directing traffic. Where is the priority line? Good question. My guess is there wasn't one. It took us 2 hours to onboard, but we were "lucky" because it took some passengers over 4 hours. There was only one gangway open! REALLY? I have been on smaller ships, and we regularly had 2 gangways. We heard a lot of possible explanations/excuses, but I have no idea if any were true. Once on the gangway we were shocked to see only one MSC crew member scanning cards. There were two stations, but they were only utilizing one. Ridiculous!

- Safety on board was not a priority. The Muster Drill, which is mandatory and emphasized on other ships, was a Cluster.

- Despite making our dining reservations immediately upon boarding, we were dismayed to find out that they had all been cancelled the next day. We had issues re-booking and getting the dates/times we had originally selected.

Aurea Balcony Stateroom

Cabin B3

Our steward was great, but cabin design was odd.I suppose it was intended to be "sleek". However, the safe was located on one shelf in the closet. This limited the drawers to two. The depth of the closet was too shallow, meaning the clothes had to be turned at an angle in order to close the door. There were no other shelves or cubbies around the desk which would have been most helpful for storage. We ended up leaving our suitcases open on the sofa.

Port Reviews

Quebec City

We did tour, but it was arranged by our travel agent. I can't speak to the ship's offerings.

Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island)

Corner Brook

New York (Manhattan)

The embarcation experience was horrific.

Sydney (Nova Scotia)