Insignia Cruise Review

Insignia Cruise Review by haitisarah

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: the Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Stateroom

This was my first cruise on any line. My sister and I traveled together. We are both close to 60. I chose Oceania because friends said that the big cruise ships require standing in long lines, and I have some health issues that won't allow me to do that. In fact, we just walked through the embarkation process with no line at all!

Our cabin was beautiful in colors of blue and silver. The bed was the star of the trip! The mattress and linens were spectacular. Our cabin maid was happy to change our pillowcases every night, at our request.

The food was always good and often exceptional. We enjoyed all the fresh fish and seafood. It was easy to make healthy choices with a wide selection of salads, vegetables, fruit and fish. There was always a vegetarian choice, a gluten-free selection and a dessert that had no-sugar-added. We appreciated that portion sizes were moderate and desserts were small. Since we could always request more, it made it easy to eat well. The service was exceptional in every venue.

The entertainment was somewhat limited, but entertaining. The string quartet and the show band were very good. The enrichment lectures with Sandy Cares were a highlight for me. I loved learning about the places we would be visiting. She was funny, lively and very interesting. I had a wonderful walking tour of Old San Juan following her suggestions. The cooking demonstration by the head chef and the chef for Toscana was not only fascinating, but also very funny.

The service was very attentive and responsive to complaints and suggestions. There were ample staff to be very personalized. The staff members were all friendly and eager to serve.

The spa was expensive, but good.

We found the Oceania-sponsored excursions to be well worth the money. They were well-organized and the guides were excellent. We spend a day or two on our own ashore.

We would certainly go again! It was a relaxing and memorable time.

haitisarah's Full Rating Summary

Veranda Stateroom
Cabin B2 6006

Our cabin had plenty of room for us. We had 14 drawers, four shelves, and two hanging spaces (a large long one and a smaller short one). We loved our veranda and will get one again. Our room was above the Insignia Lounge. We put in earplugs for the nights we went to bed early before the 9:30 evening show. Otherwise, it was very quiet.

The bathroom and shower were compact, but we adjusted easily. We did hear a couple of large men say that they used the showers in the fitness center, since they couldn't move in the cabin shower.

Miami

The cruise started off well when we just strolled through the embarkation process at 2 in the afternoon. There were no lines!

St. Maarten

We had spent a short time strolling around town, but then we returned to enjoy the quiet ship.

Martinique

We had so much time before our Mangrove Kayaking Adventure that we took a taxi to the Balata Garden. It was spectacular, and we enjoyed it very much. However, we decided to take a local bus back to the ship. There was a bus schedule, but it wasn't followed. We waited an hour and half for a bus that was scheduled every 20 minutes. Once it came, the bus was very nice. Because of our long wait, my sister was too hot and tired to go on the excursion. Next time, we will stick to one activity a day.

St. Lucia

St. Lucia was a pleasant place to stroll around town and look at the shops.

St. Kitts (Port Zante)

The guides on the both the van and the railway were very interesting. We were able to see quite a bit of the island.

Antigua

We kayaked through the mangroves. It was a rainy day, but still a beautiful place to be.

Snorkeling

This was an outstanding excursion. The guides were helpful and interesting. We learned about the importance of the mangroves to the island ecology. Bird Island was an interesting place to hike. We saw many interesting things snorkeling. The hosts were gracious and their garden was beautiful.

View All 79 Snorkeling Reviews
San Juan

Based on instructions from Sandy Cares, our ship lecturer, I was able to take myself on a walking tour of Old San Juan. It was very picturesque and beautiful. Because of her lecture, I knew where to go, what to see, and the historical significance of each stop.

Nassau

I, personally, didn't care for Nassau. There were several other cruise lines in port, so the city was very crowded. It was vibrant, but the merchants were very pushy. After going to the Straw Market, I returned to the ship to escape the heat and the crowds.

haitisarah