Allure of the Seas Cruise Review

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by Leggings

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony

While there were great things about this cruise, overall I was somewhat glad for it to be over by the end. This was my first cruise and the experience was generally disappointing, with some good parts.

Embarkation was awful. Complete chaos and the staff along the way were very Curt and seemed irritated with us at times. By the time we were actually on board, we felt like we just wanted to go home. I will say debarking was MUCH better and went fairly smoothly.

The service from Royal Caribbean was generally awful anytime I had to bring an issue up, and if I cruise again I will be trying a different line. They came off as penny-pinching and unyielding, hiding behind "policy" to avoid compensating us for any problems even when the fault was with them. I did not escalate things much, as I'm really not the "let me speak to the manager" type, but frankly you shouldn't have to act like that to get issues resolved. They cancelled a shore excursion and provided no compensation because it was "complimentary" through my booking - regardless, THEY cancelled it and THEY should provide some compensation for the lost experience. They would not even replace our soda cups when both started leaking halfway through the cruise - they wanted to charge $10.95 apiece. Unwilling to replace a cheap piece of plastic that probably costs them less than $1 to make, and meanwhile there is CONSTANT and obnoxious upselling happening the entire week. RC demonstrated to me quite clearly that they only care about their bottom line. Even when I went to get a massage, they make you fill out a form about all the things "wrong" with you so the spa can try to play on your insecurities and get you to purchase more services. They must have asked me 5+ times if I wanted any other service.

I am also fairly certain I got food poisoning at the Izumi hibachi restaurant. I will never be able to prove this 100%, but became suddenly very ill about 5 hours after eating there and it resolved in around 12 hours. The symptoms were most consistent with staph bacteria poisoning, based on my research. I acknowledge the possibility that I caught a virus or something instead, but my boyfriend did not get sick and the symptoms were less indicative of that. This completely ruined the first port, Labadee, where many of the perks in our booking would have been. I did not even get off the ship there - again, I believe because I was poisoned.

There were positives too, of course. Our stateroom was great overall, our stateroom attendant as well. A lot of the food was great, especially the MDR. We spent a lot of time in the large jacuzzis that hang over the side of the ship and it was very relaxing (but I WISH they wouldn't close most of them at night, leaving just one crowded one left...). Bar service was great. Generally most areas of the ship weren't too crowded for how many people were on board. I can't speak to the entertainment at all, as we didn't attend any shows... Not really our thing.

As far as ports: Falmouth was not a very good stop for us, it was very hot that day, and the port area is essentially just lots of people trying to sell you things plus some food options. A guy in the port actually asked us if we wanted to buy ecstasy, which I thought only happened outside the port. We did not book any excursions there as the ones that seemed worth doing required an hour or more drive.

Cozumel, however, was good overall. We booked Nacho Cocom well in advance. This was a much quieter and more relaxing beach, not crowded at all. The drinks were good (and included in booking), the lunch was decent. We went snorkeling as well and that was great - our initial spot wasn't the best so they actually took us to a second one that was much better. Small group in a small boat, I think it was 6 people total. I forgot to bring a hair tie and they actually had a couple on the boat, which was a lifesaver for keeping my hair out of the way in the water.

Overall...there were some good experiences, but I will NOT be cruising with RC again based on my impression of them from this cruise.

Leggings's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View Balcony

The cabin was great - clean, comfortable, and having the balcony was awesome. If anything our AC was too cold and we found ourselves turning the temperature up. I do wish they had tissues in the room.

This room was right under the pool deck, so particularly during the day we'd hear people stomping around or chairs scraping from up there. That said, the sound insulation overall was pretty impressive and this was a minor nuisance. We never heard a peep from our neighbors.

Leggings