Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review

Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review by toddje

• Sail Date: Oct 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Central Park View Balcony

Generally: The entire family (us, our kids, and our grandkids) agreed a couple years ago to book this cruise. So with the 12 of us we boarded (quite quickly and without delay) the Harmony of the Seas finally this past week. It is still a new ship, and it is ENORMOUS. I prefer a smaller ship for cruising but this was the best thing for our large group of varying ages. The trip was overall fantastic. There are lots of activities for adults *and* for the kids. I was very skeptical of the child care on a cruise ship, but the grandkids LOVED it. There is a lot of food to suit most tastes. The windjammer buffet is super clean and well stocked. The Main Dining Room Staff adjusted quickly to our request for a large table that our travel agent hadn't passed through AND accommodated the couple of dietary issues my family has with ease. My cabin was clean, everything worked in there, and it was surprisingly large (interior balcony). Cabin steward was fantastic. Nice bonus was the USB charging outlets. By the way, getting OFF the ship was surprisingly fast and efficient as well at the end of the cruise.

The REALLY Good: Now, for what really stood out to my daughter and I. The PADI dive shop staff on this ship is FANTASTIC. We had always wanted to learn to scuba dive (Open Water course). We decided to do it on this trip. Having done the 'book work' before boarding, we received *excellent* instruction on board. Francois is the dive instructor on this boat. He works alongside Kelly who is ALSO fantastic and helped us on occasion, but this was Francois' week to teach/dive so he was our lead instructor. Francois is the real deal, having been a commercial diver as well. He takes diving seriously (in a fun way), and makes sure everyone both feels safe and (more importantly) is safe - but he ALSO makes sure you're having fun and that you have enough freedom to LEARN. He will push you but also will slow down to work with you where needed. I highly recommend any and all excursions/activities with Francois and/or Kelly in the PADI dive shop. It's up on 15. Go there. You won't be sorry.

Special mention also to 150 Central Park restaurant which is just fantastic chef-inspired food and drink. Well worth the upcharge for the service staff alone, but the food is also mindblowingly good.

Entertainment not to miss: Grease. Comedy. Columbus was also pretty funny/good.

Things to skip: The ice show is a mess, though the little kids loved it. Also, the elevators are overcrowded and slow.

All in all, highly recommended. Did I mention I really think highly of the PADI DIVE SHOP yet? :-)

toddje's Full Rating Summary

Central Park View Balcony

Cabin was clean, everything worked. WE had a door with adjacent cabin for family that was handy. I liked the USB Charging outlets. Our room steward (Oneil) is fantastic. Room was surprisingly large for a cruise ship (at least in my experience).

Perfect Day at CocoCay

They really stepped it up on this island. It has everything you could want. We rented a cabana and the family loved it. The music by the pool bar (where our cabana was) was a bit too loud for our tastes (after all, we had our own wireless speaker in the cabana but couldn't hear it over the DJ music), and near the end of the afternoon there were a few folks who were over-served.

Scuba Diving

If I could give Francois, Kelly and the PADI dive shop on Harmony of the Seas six stars, I would. Highly recommended. Super professional. Excellent teachers. Great dive sites, and they've done great work to find great local partners on the islands to cooperate with to provide students fantastic learning opportunities. We got Open Water certified during our cruise. Huge compliments and accolades for Francois.

View All 12 Scuba Diving Reviews