• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Norwegian Dawn Review

Editor Rating

Worst experience ever with canceled flight home

Review for Norwegian Dawn to Canada & New England
DeeDaria
10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2019
Cabin: Balcony

We should have a mixed review here. Maybe two or three out of five. The ports and onshore experiences were great. We sailed from NYC to Quebec City to see the fall colors. The room guy and many service people on the Dawn did a good job and were fun.
However the dining on the Dawn is downright awful. The food is substandard unless you are in the cost added restaurants. For instance, I had a creme brulee in Le Bistro, the French restaurant. Delicious. I had the same item in the Venetian (huge, crowded and so noisy you can't hear each other or have a conversation) and it was mushy with no flavor. My husband actually go sick after eating the brisket from the Venetian (he said it was all fat covered with BBQ sauce.
Here comes the kicker: At 10 pm the night before disembarkation, I tried to check in with Air Canada on a flight booked by NCL as part of our booking. We were told our FLIGHT RESERVATiON WAS CANCELED BY NCL on Oct 1 (four days before our cruise ended).
No notification to us, no explanation, and no seats available for at least three days,
At the onboard customer service desk we were told it was not their department, not their problem, so sorry but we can't help you. Since my husband had to have a surgical procedure in two days that we had postponed for the trip, I had to scramble to book a flight. Cost: $1356.00.
After a lot of searching we got tickets out of Montreal the next night but again, the manager of the service desk would not even help us with transportation to Montreal even though several buses were going there the next morning. We were entirely on our own.
I called NCL from home but was shuttled from department to department with no answers and finally told I had to submit a complaint online. Once they hear your cruise is ended they won't talk to you at all.

It is weeks since our nightmare ended have we have not heard one word from NCL.
If I could give the experience a '0' I would. The frustration and anxiety, plus the extra cost, were not worth it at all.

Balcony

Very small cabin but OK with the balcony. Great room steward Alley.

1 Helpful Vote