3. Celebrity Reflection
My husband and I recently took a Celebrity cruise to the Greek isles on the Reflection. It was out of Barcelona to the Greek Isles, September 30,2019- October12,2019. This was our third cruise with Celebrity and we had really enjoyed our past cruising experience with your line. We did get a very good deal with all 4 perks. On this cruise, things were not up to the same level of customer service as previously experienced. There were a somethings that were great. Our main dining room team and room attendant were excellent. The ship itself is up to date and was extremely clean.(The exception being a poor quality TV in our cabin and some broken ellipticals). Internet was very fast. The ship’s officers were very friendly. Qusine was the best dining that we had on board. Even if it didn't have the movie, the food was worth it. The dining room food overall was pretty good. The Cafe/buffet was good for breakfast. We were impressed that Celebrity had endorsed a lovely, small shop in Athens that sold items made only in Greece. The subdued lighting in the bathroom was a very welcome feature. Disembarkation was very smooth and easy. The musical group ANCORA was fabulous!!! Other productions like Elysium and the magician were very good. The hypnotist wasn't so great. Other things were not so great. Our priority check-in as Concierge passengers was non-existent. Passengers in the general boarding area were processed much faster and ahead of us. So no benefit there. Luggage drop off was chaotic. Also no health form was offered? No champagne was offered once we were on board. I saw it sitting on trays, but not being offered??? Once on board, the muster drill was way too long. It was at least a half hour of standing. Not a comfortable situation and the mini-action film shown was really, really unnecessary. Our premium drink package was not what we expected. The wine listings offered had very limited choices, with hardly any for chardonnay. The wines available were not up to the standard that Celebrity offered on our past two cruises. Many wines were not available as the cruise progressed. Very disappointing. One thing we found concerning was that while the Hand Wash Lady ( people walked right by) was very warm and welcoming, the overall staff demeanor in the Oceanview Cafe was quite sullen. The wonderful service experienced on other Celebrity Ships (Caribbean cruises), in the Cafe area, was not present here. So we wondered what was happening in that venue. ( I think (only my opinion) that possibly since the majority of guests on this cruise were from Europe and that many frown upon the added daily gratuity policy, and in some cases don't want to pay it or leave any additional monies, that this may have set the tone of the staff. A whole season of perhaps substandard tips could make people disinterested? (Maybe the E.U. pricing should be structured differently, so tip is included in price and never mentioned again to that clientele.) Our only time in main dining room for breakfast and I wound up next to a woman who told the person next to her that she came on board with a bad head cold and gave it to her traveling partner who was unable to join her for breakfast. I heard a lot of serious coughing going on. And saw not a lot of hygiene from the clientele. Excellent service in Murano and Tuscan Grille. Tuscan Grille has been better in the past, so we changed a second reservation there to Qusine. My husband experienced broken gym equipment: 4 elliptical machines were not working properly. (Screens not working) Hair dryer in room isn't that strong. My husband had requested a cake for my birthday, I asked him to cancel it which was fine because it appears I wouldn’t have gotten the cake since no record of request his could be found. FYI: This also happened to friends of ours who cruised with Celebrity recently. The constant selling was really quite ramped up from our past experience to beyond an annoying level. Especially the first few days. We pre-planned and booked all our tours through Celebrity. First remember to bring a roll of 50 cent euro coins for bathrooms. Attendants don't/won't in most cases make change. The ship doesn't have coin available only bills. Some of our tours with the ship were great others were not so wonderful. I would recommend doing Mykonos on your own. It is a small village and you don't need 50 people in tow. The tender drops you right on the dock. You can take the same public ferry our tour took to Delos right from the dock (ticket booth right there). Ferry constantly going back and forth. We had to tender, but "The Edge" had to take a shuttle, so our spot was actually better. The lunch included on our tour was just okay. Our guide got a little short tempered when 2 woman asked about bathroom facilities. 50 people are too many as a group, especially here. In Messina Italy we went to Taromina. About an hour away. It is worth it. Beautiful town, great tour guide. Santorini was nice to see, but our guide was unprofessional in a few ways. One was arguing with 2 women on our bus back from Fira. This tour is the one to do, since you don't have to wait on the cable car line to tender back. Those that took that option did at their own additional time and expense. The bus took us to Oia, the Santos Winery and Fira. Plenty of free time in the towns. Winery had free bathrooms, some snacks and wine to sample, so this was a great stop in the middle. Our original Blue Grotto was not available due to weather. We tried the Hop on Hop off in Malta with tickets purchased through ship (30.00 each U.S.) It wasn't great since the bus (old) had non-working headphones. Island is stunning as you enter/leave port. Can't tell you more than that since we didn't get any info. Rhodes was another walled city and ancient ruin trip that was really very good. Guide was very pleasant and informative. Athens you should go on a tour or get a guide to get into and around and the acropolis. It is extremely crowded, but worth it since it was our first and only time. Our guide was very nice and professional. We also stopped at a small store that Celebrity recommended, which I was pleased to find the shopkeepers very friendly and all the items were made in Greece with low prices. We did see the 2 ladies with the large white poodle another reviewer wrote about. The dog seemed well-behaved, but I still wouldn't want to eat adjacent to it or sit near it on a tour. There was a large group of people with disabilities on this cruise, who amazed me with how well they were able to tackle some of the difficult terrain. Also we used private car service SUN TRANSFERS to and from pier/airport. They were there early and had clean cars with pleasant drivers. Taxis are limited when you disembark, so get off early if you want to get a taxi. They thin out, I would guess, until guests start arriving for afternoon embarkation. The ship did offer bus service to the airport for around $60.00 per person. We pre-paid $100.00 round trip with tip included. We gave a few euros extra, each way as well. Not sure I would recommend Celebrity or go on again. Certainly not as Concierge. Not worth extra. Our Princess and other cruise line experiences have been so much better.

Not consistent

Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by NYLine

We pre-planned and booked all our tours through Celebrity.

NYLine’s Full Rating Summary