3. Royal Princess
This was my first Princess Cruise and I did book another cruise, but unsure if I won’t go back to Celebrity. The crew on this ship was incredibly inconsistent. Some worked hard and were friendly, while others seemed to hate their job. The food in the main dining halls was just okay, but then sometimes the buffet delivered even though sometimes it didn’t. The cruise director’s team is a lot of fun and actually helped me enjoy the brand more. That said, here are some things they could work harder to make my trip better: 1) karaoke: having it in the Vista theater vs. a bar is a big mistake. It doesn’t bring the fun as the activity should be. It feels like auditioning for American Idol. Only for the brave. The point of karaoke is sounding awful with too many drinks for liquid courage. 2) enough with the old jokes by CD Matt O. I’m in my mid-40s and chose Princess because it cruises out of LA and isn’t full of kids. However, telling all these old jokes made me feel like the brand isn’t made for me. 3) Old Fashions do not need soda when you’re calling top shelf bourbon. ASK if I want club soda in it. I was rudely blamed for not proactively telling them. No bar I’ve ever been to in the US serves the cocktail with soda water. 4) I never saw our stateroom attendant. Never checked in with us. 5) Every spa on every ship tries to upsell you product. I get it. But NO MEANS NO! My sister and I were pressured and when we said no, we were each individually treated incredibly rude. Each time, we were met with passive aggressive and even just plain aggressive attitude. 6) Elevators are a huge challenge. I realize there is no way to fix this. But they’re the worst I’ve ever experienced on cruises in size and delays. 7) order now in the app is absolutely useless. I ordered drinks that never came. Sometimes the screen would lock for days (I have an iPhone Xs). 8) Sanctuary is great! However, understaffed and you’ll be stranded without drinks being served to your table despite advertising otherwise. 9) women bartenders seemed to be all business no chatter. I like talking to barstaff, regardless of gender, but I noticed the women bartenders seemingly unfriendly. 10) Future Cruises needs overhaul. Whomever I talked to there seemed to care less about selling me a future cruise. My sister and I got “go to the website” as an answer a lot. MISSED OPPORTUNITY! I could use some excitement and “insider” information about some of the cruises. Demographics, something special not in the brochure, etc. Celebrity does this incredibly well. Princess could learn a few things about retooling their Future Cruises office (open for two hours per day by ONE unsmiling staffer. 11) not a comment card available to fill out as of the fifth day. (I’m reviewing on our last day.) 12) Do more programming for the Gen X crowd. 13) the “library” had very few books and mostly stale reading. Fill it up! 14) bring silent disco! 15) keep the racist jokes by AJ Jamal off the ship. Horribly dated jokes against Asian Americans, uses accents like something out of 1950s. Awful and uncomfortable. He made the audience the butt of jokes and it was clear they were laughing in politeness. Just hearing people as they exited the theater would give the ship enough insight to ship this guy out. I don’t mind blue humor, but this guy didn’t have very good material and so when the audience wasn’t impressed, he just started picking on Asians in the crowd. He mentioned he has a wife from Thailand, but he should know better rather than use her as a license to offend. 16) LGBT mixer was unhosted while there were MANY gay staff on the ship. Would love to see the representation at the mixer by the staff. It’s sometimes easier to approach a staff member about LGBT questions and programming if we know who is who.

Inconsistent

Royal Princess Cruise Review by Roaringleo75

That said, here are some things they could work harder to make my trip better:

4) I never saw our stateroom attendant. Never checked in with us.

12) Do more programming for the Gen X crowd.

13) the “library” had very few books and mostly stale reading. Fill it up!

14) bring silent disco!