3. Majestic Princess
The Majestic Princess is a relatively new ship, but there are things about the ship that make me feel it's age. It feels closed in in the public areas. Low ceilings and small halls etc just gave me a closed in feeling. There was nothing really grand about the dining room: it was perfectly nice just nothing special. I had read alot about the beautiful atrium/piazza, again, nice but nothing really special. The rooms were also nice enough, although I have been in nicer rooms on other cruise lines. I wish there had been a lounge chair or small couch so that you didn't have to sit on the bed all the time. (Speaking of that: our cabin steward made our be before we checked out even though we told him we would be back--that grossed me out, knowing he had likely done the same thing before we checked in so we might be sitting on someone else's "germs") I really likely that there we laundry facilities onboard. We had taken a land tour prior to our cruise and it was nice to be able to do laundry without having to pay the ship's laundry rates. The food on this ship is, at best, uninspired. The buffet is similar to a low priced family buffet (Golden Corral for those in the US). The food is basically the same every day: there is really nothing "wrong" with it, it is just boring and not particularly flavorful. Getting a piece of bread toasted is a challenge, you have to track down a toaster, then an employee and then get them to toast it. It would be better if the toasters were available for anyone to use. We only ate at the buffet for breakfast after the first day because of the "blah-ness" of the food. Because of New Zealand's strict vegetation restrictions the fruit was cut up so you couldn't take it ashore. I didn't mind the apples, etc but peeling the bananas and cutting them in half was weird. We also struggled to get a refill on our beverages. Finding a seat was a bit of a challenge as well. We ate at the pizza restaurant several days, and we ate at the noodle bar several days for lunch. Both were tasty and amazingly fairly easy to get beverage refills. The burger bar was also pretty good. The main dining room was also okay: some of the food was really good, some just "okay". The desserts were absolutely nothing to write home about. You expect cruise desserts to be special but they just weren't. Again, getting a refill on our beverage was almost no-existant. It shows that the service wasn't what you would expect. The casino was small and the game payouts were not very "generous" I played very little. The shows were fine: I enjoyed them. My husband wasn't as impressed. As indicated in other reviews the theater just isn't big enough for the number of people onboard. The best night was the day that had 3 shows. Embarkation was great: very smooth and quick-we were in our rooms in less than a half hour. The rooms were ready when we got on so there was no lugging around your carry on bag while you ate lunch or had a drink. Very little pressure to buy beverage packages or upgrade to specialty dining. That was nice. We loved all of the ports of call: however, there were two things that weren't so good. There was a change in itinerary that resulted in less than normal time in two of the ports. Tauranga was very odd because we got in at 4:30 am. No shore excursions started that early(obviously) and most of them were fairly long so they ended up feeling rushed in order to get back to the ship on time. (We used a secondary provider instead of the ship's offerings.) Several of the ship's tours came back late so the ship had to leave late. The tours in Akaroa were also late getting back resulting in very long lines to get a tender and very few people got back to the ship at the recommended "on board" time. I think we were about 2 hours or better late leaving that port. It appears that Princess has some issues either with their own timing or that of their vendors to get back in a timely fashion. (one of the Princess tour buses ran out of gas and one had their keys stolen by a biker--made me glad that I was on an aftermarket tour) We discussed that we did not know that we would take another Princess cruise, primarily because of the food and the service.

Excellent itinerary: ship so so

Majestic Princess Cruise Review by mtnlvr53

Ages 16+
Get Majestic Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BE
This is a great cabin for the price: We had a big balcony, bigger than the mini suite below us and most of the other balcony rooms.
It had a very small bathroom but it worked fine.

The pillows were very comfortable but I felt the bed was a little soft. My husband thought the bed was good.

The closet was roomy and there was plenty of room to store suitcases in the closet or under then bed.
Marina Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins