3. Carnival Ecstasy
This was a wonderful trip! I have been on several cruises, but this was my husbands first. We were traveling for our honeymoon. The staff was absolutely fantastic and the attention to detail was amazing. Retchie, the man in charge of our rooms, was fabulous - not only did he greet us by name in the hall every time he saw us, but he went above and beyond daily, from icing down beverages we'd left in our room, to offering to take our picture the night of the captains dinner! We found the waitstaff to be equally amazing, they remembered us from day to day, greeted us happily. One night at our formal dinner, we were even surprised with a cake that said "happy honeymoon". It was an experience we won't forget. I'm not sure what magic Carnival uses to seat people together, but we got along great with all the other couples at our table, and have even kept in touch with some after the cruise! The ship itself was wonderful and clean. Some reviews claimed it was small, but we found there was plenty to explore, even with two days at sea at each end of the trip. We especially liked the adult-only area where the hot tubs were, as it was very quiet. The mini golf was also lots of fun. The food was wonderful, we often opted to go to the seated dining areas for breakfast, as we prefer a sit-down meal and these were wonderful. The buffet areas did offer a good selection, and on the days of our excursions we did go there instead. Guys Burger Joint was also a neat experience with good food. Our cruise stopped at Grand Turk, which was gorgeous. We would absolutely go here again, and although we loved our excursion (horseback riding), if we went again we would be content to just shop and enjoy the beach and bars, the island was very safe and it was so gorgeous and easy to get around that the excursion wasn't needed to enjoy the stop. We also stopped at a cruise-ship owned area of the Dominican. I would not go back to the Dominican again, but to no fault of the cruiseline. I found the beaches to be basic, and the area in general very poverty-stricken. However, the staff was friendly, we did an all inclusive beach day excursion that was decently priced for what it included. The only thing worth noting about embarking would be that prior to the muster station meeting, all restaurants close down. We hadn't gotten lunch yet, and they closed about an hour prior to the meeting, so we were rather hungry when they opened back up. Not a huge deal, we know for next time to eat first, I just wish that had been a bit more clear. Overall, a great trip. I've cruised several times with Carnival and have never been disappointed!

Wonderful Trip!

Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by Stacy ShowOffEquine

Stacy ShowOffEquine’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Ecstasy price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 6D
Decent sized for a cruise ship. This is surely not where we spent much time, so it was plenty nice enough for the time spent there. The crew in charge of the rooms was amazing!
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Amber Cove (Puerto Plata)
    The areas outside the cruise port or excursion areas don't seem safe, the area is poverty-stricken. The ride from where the port is to where the beaches are is rather long. We enjoyed it, as we liked seeing the area. But there were others on our bus that seemed less than enthused with the long bumpy ride. The beaches and food were pretty basic. Staff was helpful. I wouldn't go back to the DR, but by no fault/reason of the cruiseline
    View All 722 Amber Cove (Puerto Plata) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Amber Cove (Puerto Plata) Cruise Port Review
  • Horseback Tour
    This place is so gorgeous, that an excursion isn't needed. But we greatly enjoyed our ride. The guides were friendly and informative, offered to take pictures on several occasions. And the included lunch was very good!!
    View All 21 Horseback Tour Reviews