3. Carnival Sunrise
I’ve waited 20 years to take this cruise but it was my worst experience. The debarkation process was chaotic. We had FTTF, checked in, breezed through security, and then were called to board immediately. Everything was looking good until we tried to board and they said a couple of us weren’t checked in. I did everything online before and it appeared to be complete. Few minutes later and we were on the ship. We had two rooms with a balcony and an inside room across the hall for the kids. Our steward, Christopher, seemed to be annoyed when we mentioned the beds were not configured as requested and the trundle was not set up. We never saw him again until the final morning of the cruise. He didn’t ask if we had any requests and the service of our room was mediocre when it was done. It certainly wasn’t daily. Odd and very different from my previous experiences. Halifax and Saint John were beautiful but there wasn’t a lot to do around town. Our stops in Portland and Boston were cancelled due to tropical storm Melissa so we spent a second day in Halifax and an additional sea day (of hell) was added. Huge swells had the entire ship rocking and passengers sick everywhere. No comedians for the second half of the cruise and no additional activities were added to fill the time. It was beyond boring watching the ship map showing us crawling along. Ship areas are cramped and just boring. Same breakfast every day and you’re lucky to fine anywhere to sit. The dining room didn’t include the great shows with the staff. If they did perform, you were lucky to see anything because the design of the dining room includes walls that obstructs many tables. The service was rushed and impersonal but they made sure the last night to make a pitch for extra tips. I had a thermal suite pass but it was a waste. The locker room includes showers but no hair dryers. Who wants to shower and then go out with wet hair? The other facilities in the thermal suite were ok but I prefer those that include therapy pools and hot tubs. I had a few treatments in the spa that were fantastic. Highly recommend the massage therapists. If this is how refurbished looks, I can’t imagine how bad it was before. This was my third Carnival cruise in 18 months but I think I’m done with them. It’s too much planning and money for a mediocre experience.

Underwhelming

Carnival Sunrise Cruise Review by Julie41068

Julie41068’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Sunrise price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8D 7415
Cramped and plain decor. Shower didn’t drain properly and the door to the bathroom doesn’t function well because it seems backwards. The closets are fine but there are no drawers to store anything in.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins