3. Carnival Valor
This cruise was a whim of a moment, for myself and my friend, no kids. I had called Vacations To Go, and got a very nice price for a balcony cabin, on the 4 night cruise out of New Orleans to Cozumel and back. I was also familiar with Carnival and their port there, since my only other cruise was based there. My friend had not been on any cruise; it was my 2nd one. We both enjoyed it ~overall. She had a bit of a time first sea day, with sea sickness, but recovered soon. We had spent the night in Biloxi, then drove 1.5 hrs to the port the next morning, not taking any time to explore New Orleans, not really wanting to. Embarkation was quite a chore. We parked at the Fulton Place Garage, a few blocks and a shuttle ride away from the port. We arrived a bit after our set time, due to a large load of other people getting on the shuttle. Our checked luggage was taken by porters, and we went to join the Masses ~ However, we were processed, walking back and back and forth through the queue with the rest of the large crowd, we NOT being the most OverPacked ! It was rather tedious, and very hot, with the weather out being very warm. I determined that on next crusie I MIGHT buy the "Faster to the Fun" perk, and get through swifter. Security was not awful, pleasant personnel, and we were quickly processed, carry on items scanned, bottles shaken for alcohol content, etc. We did carry a small cooler with canned drinks and 2 bottles of wine. On board, we were quickly verified, and wandered on the 3rd deck into the assembled masses. Soon, Finding way to our room, we were pleased to find our Sail & Sign passes in our mailbox, and entered the room. Great sigh of Relief !! The cabin on deck 8, somewhat amidships, was just as seen online. The beds were properly set up, with a luggage pad on one of them. Plenty of linens & supplies were in the bath area. The temperature in our cabin was good the whole trip. Everything was good - EXCEPT the Refrigerator - it was about dead. I mentioned it to our steward, and he just shrugged, said -Sorry, most of them are no good. That was a large disappointment ! The balcony was perfect with two chairs and a table. The view was wonderful ~except for the stormy day. Our steward Suphol was unobtrusive, reliable, throrough, and very willing to get ice for us every day, replacing the "Dead Fridge". I have zero complaints for him. My friend tried the Comedy club. She said it was very entertaining and fun. I did not go, preferring to rest up in the cabin. She also tried a few drinks, finding them well made. We had late dining every night, and had very good meals. Our waiters were great, friendly, informative, and *could dance* !! LOL ! Of course I had Melting cake every night! Cruise Calories do NOT COUNT! MY Only disappointment was an extra charge for ordering a Filet Migon; Santika, our waiter let me know that if I liked Filet - to go to Seaday Brunch and they were Included ! YEA ! I did! Twice ! We LOVED the Guys Burgers restaurant ! Oh those were GREAT ! I was craving one when I got HOME ! We really kept things simple, not dining in any specialty restaurants nor going to any big shows. I was tired a lot, (Old person!) and my friend was a bit awed by all the things available. LOL We took a privately booked excursion on Cozumel to Nachi Cocum beach club. It was very nice, and easily accessed via taxi. All Inclusive meant lots of food and Drinks, and beach, which was Perfect! Be warned, though - Do your Cozumel Market Shopping BEFORE you head to whatever excursion ! The Crowds AFTER are Insane ! I cut my buying short to be sure I got BACK to the Ship before it left! There were some people that were videoed being amusing "dock runners" before we left port - but they MADE it ! The Valor was quite clean in all areas, with the floors shining brightly everywhere. It was a good size ship, not too long from bow to stern. We made the trip several times, going from one venue to another (maybe one reason I was Tired ??). We shopped the Fun Shop sales, and had fun with the sales persons. We collected a few nice FREE items too! Most of my "fun activity" was in the casino. Of course I didn't WIN a lot, but I had a pretty good time. One of our fellow cruisers organized a "group slot pull" where we pooled our money and shared win/loss proceeds. All participants enjoyed it a lot. Debarkation was a rather non-event. We had our to-be-checked luggage outside by 10 PM, the previous night, and it was swiftly collected Getting out of our room by 8:30 AM was more of an EVENT ! We then had a liesurely breakfast in the Buffet, and roamed around a bit until our lot was called. We had the usual long walk, with our carry-on items, then found our baggage easily. No back & forth maze nor scanning, as we had "nothing to declare". Non-Event, as mentioned. Our parking shuttle arrived in good time, luggage loaded by the driver and a helper. When we got to Fulton Place Parking, we were requested to take our bags across the street to load our car, since there were so many people going OUT, as well as a whole new crew of passengers coming IN. That worked out fine, when my friend brought the car around. We were swiftly OUT of New Orleans, again not dipping into the city at all. We had both been there many times.

Simple pleasures on first cruise in years!

Carnival Valor Cruise Review by HunterBarb

Of course I had Melting cake every night! Cruise Calories do NOT COUNT!

HunterBarb’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Valor price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8E 8324
The cabin was roomy enough for two people, maybe for a third. Just us two this time. No Kids There was plenty of storage space, especially for a short 4 nighter. all the lights worked great as did the room air. Our refrigerator was DOA, barely cooling at all. Our steward apologized but said most of them were that way. NO offer of replacement. But the steward DID Refill our Cooler (kept in the shower!) every day. it was needed! The beds were comfortable, if a bit firm. Plenty of cover. The couch was also a bed, but not used. I took a small extension strip with USB ports and plug ins on it - that was also needed! Only one plug, on the vanity/desk. Plenty of room Under the beds to store luggage, and plenty of hangers in the 2 closets. One closet had shelves only. There were 3-4 drawers, and a center drawer, along with a small dressing stool, on the forward wall.
Our shower worked great, with really HOT water *watch out!*. There were plenty of supplies, paper, tissues, shampoo & body wash in a wall mounted dispenser.
Our balcony was great - I ALWAYS want a balcony now! The door was easy to open and the two chairs with small table were just right.
IT was a good cabin, & we slept pretty well, for a strange environment ~
I would re book this cabin had I the chance.
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Beach
    We booked on private website for Beach club at Nachi cocum - it was GREAT - uncrowded, with limit of 130 people a day ! All day, for $55, including food and drinks. THe drinks were not especially great, seemed a bit watered down. Food was wonderful, had fresh grouper filet, and as appetizer in the morning, Fish STICKS ~ Ha - fresh fish too. Service was great, with very attentive waiters, and there was a MARIACHI band ! THey were fun too! The pool is marvelous, with Swim Up BAR - we did not do that - we stayed in the lovely blue OCEAN water - on our self purchased floats, with our snorkel masks. - Not MUCH to See there, via snorkel - but you can pay EXtRA for a Snorkel boat trip - We did not. There are loads of chairs, a nice bathroom and shower, lockers, restaurant, it's ALL good - I will go there again ! and eat more FISH !