3. Serenade of the Seas
We have done many cruises in and out of Boston. We have taken the Maine/Canada cruise on the Serenade three times, we enjoy the ship and decided to try Bermuda this year. Since it is hurricane season we took a chance that we would end up in Canada again. It was touch and go for about a week, and we did head to Portland Maine for a day, and lost one day in Bermuda. We still throughly enjoyed the cruise and found it very relaxing as usual. The captain was Stig Nilsen, we have sailed with him a few times on different Radiance class ships. Carly Boileau was the cruise director, she creates a great atmosphere around the ship along with Nick her Activities Director. Nibu Sayed was the Hotel Director there was incredible Indian food in the Windjammer. Denis Loncarica was the Chief Engineer. There was no Captains Corner this time which we usually enjoy, seeing the film about the behind the scene’s working of the ship, and having the officers speak and answer questions. We decided to try the three day specialty restaurant package when it went on sale we bought it before we sailed, it was a good value. We were not disappointed, and enjoy dinner in Chops, Giovanni’s, and Izumi. The food was great, and wonderful service as usual. We each tried to hot rocks dinner in Izumi, it was OK, I am not sure what all the rave reviews are about. They have moved the tables in Chops so they are not so close together and the atmosphere is calm and relaxing. We ate in the MDR only once on formal night. It was crowded, and too much rushing about by the staff as they try to serve everyone. I did notice that people in the area we sat were dressed up, suits and a few tuxes on the men, and lots of evening gowns and cocktail dresses and fancy tops on the women. Once we left the dining room it was very mixed and we saw lots of shorts and t-shirts. We ate in the Windjammer several nights, it is much quieter than the dining room, and lots of great choices for food and fantastic deserts. The staff was welcoming, helpful and always smiling. Rocky our room steward was outstanding, kept the cabin spotless and was an expert at towel animals. The ship is in great condition, but I can’t help not liking the changes. I miss the library, though I found a good book to read in the bookshelves by the pool tables, I used to enjoy sitting there reading and listening to the music in the Centrum. The area above the Centrum that used to be the Loyaly area is still closed even though the aerial show is long gone where they stored the equipment. It is wasted space now. I used to like the glass area in the floor where you could look down into the Centrum, I understand it is still there on the Jewel and Radiance of the Seas. Speaking of the Centrum they are still doing all the activities that used to be held in the Safari Club there. The Captains reception seems like an after thought in the Centrum so we just kept walking. It used to be a very special event. The International Parade of Nations is impossible to enjoy in the Centrum. They have had complaints about noise in the cabins near the Centrum, even with the closed doors, but they just keep doing it. It makes no sense. The production shows were very good as always, Stage to Screen was outstanding. We did not see Vibology this time. The commedian was not our favorite, but the commedian juggler was very funny. We used the gym, lots of people did still it was not crowded. We spent no time at the pool but anytime I walked by, there were plenty of chairs. There were few children on this cruise. It was very calm, no crowds, no problem getting restaruant reservations once on board. We had a small Meet and Mingle, wished more had attended. Boarding in Boston was different this time. We were met by a worker with a tablet who checked us in, and took our picture with it. When we arrived their were no lines at all. We usually arrive around 1pm and find few people but this time we just went through security and checking with no waiting. I guess the new method works well. Next year the Brilliance will be sailing out of Boston, we are booked for the 10 day cruise to Canada next fall.

A Detour to Maine Before Heading to Bermuda

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by JCMass.

• Sail Date: September 2019
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Junior Suite

We used the gym, lots of people did still it was not crowded.

JCMass.’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas price drops

Junior Suite
Cabin J3 1602
This is an aft Junior Suite, very comfortable lots of room, and a huge balcony with two lounge chairs, a table and two additional chairs. Everything worked great, the walk in closet and all the drawers and cupboards are more than enough storage for two. There was a coffee maker, and a kettle to boil water for tea, plus everything you needed for both. They no longer provide, paper and pen even Junior Suites. We didn't mind the walk half the length of the ship to get to the elevators and stairs from the cabin some might.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins