3. Norwegian Jade
My husband and I chose this once-in-a-lifetime cruise because we were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary and I have wanted to go to Italy all my life. This was our first trip to Europe. Florence and Pompeii were the biggest draws. Unfortunately, Norwegian canceled the shore excursion to Florence at the last moment because of engine trouble. We were rerouted to our port of origin, Civitavecchia. By the way, there is nothing there. Despite sending passengers out on a defective ship, Norwegian seemed to think a shipboard credit of $100 was adequate compensation for robbing passengers of their trip to Florence. That wouldn't have gotten us to Florence by bus, car, train, or donkey. At the very least, they should have offered those of us with excursions round trip transportation to Florence, but no. I filed a complaint with them and it took them SIX DAYS to respond with an all-purpose form letter that did nothing to address the issue. I responded to that a week ago and have yet to receive the courtesy of a reply. They are completely unprofessional. If I ran a business they way they run theirs, it would sink like the Titanic. I would also like to point out that this trip cost us over $10,000 that we paid in good faith. Norwegian seems incapable of acting in good faith in return. I would also like to point out their lack of customer service in terms of booking it in the first place. There were countless unreturned phone calls and at least one unreturned email. Not until I sent an email to Vivian Ewart, Senior VP/Passenger Services did I get prompt return phone calls, although not from her. It took countless hours to book this trip and I was on the verge of cancellation many times because it was such a hassle dealing with them. I'd also like to mention that she, nor "guest relations," have yet to respond to my above referenced email of October 1, either. Other cruise lines give guests an inexpensive tote bag on arrival, but this is the first cruise line we've been on that didn't do that. I would have packed my own if I'd known. Apparently Norwegian is too cheap for that. As a cruise line, Norwegian seems be rather petty and nickel and dime their guests on various 'surcharges.' I resented giving them an extra dime for anything. There were many small annoyances with them as a cruise line that just seemed to add up. Multiple other cruisers we met on board had said they wouldn't book with them again. Also, countless people got sick on that ship. So many of us were hacking and coughing. I got sick on Sept. 5 with a sore throat that turned into a hacking cough, coughing so hard that if I were an older person my ribs would surely have cracked. It is now October 8 and I still have a little bit of a cough. One of the other guests told me that a member of their party went to the ship's doctor who did blood work and took a chest x-ray to diagnose bronchitis for $3500. Mine can do it with a stethoscope, but I digress..CLEAN THAT SHIP!! On the plus side, embarkation and disembarkation was quick and efficient. Ship staff was courteous, polite, friendly and professional. I know my heading is poor customer service, but that does not apply to shipboard staff. Our room was nice, we splurged on a mini suite. Food ranged from only okay to very good. We went to several of the evening shows. Singers and dancers were great, as were the Cirque du Soleil type aerialist/acrobats. We met many wonderful cruisers onboard that really enhanced our trip. Some of the excursions were tedious with long bus rides. To do it again, I would hire a cab to take us to the Acropolis and show us around and skip the extended tour that we booked. We loved the excursion to Rhodes, touring the monastery built by Knight's Templar and the Old City, so interesting. Pompeii was very interesting as well and is a must see. Just book your cruise through another cruise line and book your excursions with them. If not for dealing with the corporate office and their lack of respect, courtesy and professionalism, I would have given them a higher rating. They could learn a lot from the consistently courteous and polite shipboard staff.

No, no Norwegian! Poor customer service, use another cruise line!!

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by elburt

• Sail Date: September 2019
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

elburt’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jade price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB 11510
We splurged on a mini suite that slept four. There were only two of us, so there was plenty of closet space with enough hangers and enough drawer space. The cabin was kept clean and tidy.

Because of the shower door frame, exiting the tub was difficult.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Acropolis
    This was an Athens city tour with the Acropolis and Poseidon's temple. The Acropolis was interesting and we had a very good guide. Walking can be difficult, wear decent shoes. After that we were on the bus to Poseidon's Temple, but I didn't walk up yet another mountain to see it. I sat down and waited for the rest of the group to come back. Lovely view of the water and a small beach. It was quite warm and humid that day and I was wishing we'd gone to the beach. In retrospect, i would have preferred to take a cab to the Acropolis and skip the rest. Way too much time spent on the bus. We met someone who did that and the cab driver drove them around and showed them some highlights and cost them MUCH less than our excusion.
    View All 342 Acropolis Reviews
  • Island of Delos
    After the Acropolis we could have skipped this one, but we did have a wonderful guide and learned a lot about the culture. Watch out for snakes in the ruins, including vipers. Not kidding. Would maybe have preferred a different excursion.
    View All 90 Island of Delos Reviews
  • Sorrento & Amalfi Coast by Boat
    Do not miss Pompeii. Again, we had a wonderful guide. Very interesting tour. We also were able to spend some time in Sorrento and I would have liked to spend more time there.
    View All 15 Sorrento & Amalfi Coast by Boat Reviews
  • Rhodes Old Town
    I'm not sure the name of this excursion, but it included a Knight's Templar monastery and the Old City. We swapped a different excursion for this one and we were so glad we did! It was simply fascinating hearing about the Crusaders and the Knight's Templar and seeing the old city. Our guide described the monastery as a hidden gem, a great description. The old city was a fortress and is filled with things to see, restaurants and shops. Loved this tour!
    View All 30 Rhodes Old Town Reviews
  • Taormina (Messina)
    Tour guide spent the time telling us how late she was out the night before instead of telling us points of interest. We were dropped off in town to explore on our own. Very old town with narrow streets, lots of shops. Enjoyed the city. Recommend getting some local food here. We've all seen the movies where drivers challenge each other on the road, play chicken and swear at each other. Yep, totally true. Our driver and bus driver coming from the opposite direction had words. Lots of them. Very entertaining. Roads are narrow, so drivers really must compromise.
    View All 13,169 Taormina (Messina) Cruise Port Reviews