Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review
1,547 Reviews

I personally was very happy - You don't need to book shore excursions

Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by JerseyMomlovestoTravel

• Sail Date: Sep 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View

We have been on 11 cruises with 6 of them being Royal Caribbean. I had read reviews about the ship being worn. I didn't see it that way. We traveled in September which means there were hardly any young children. This may be why we did not have trouble obtaining tables or pool chairs. Our party of 5 had a table for 12 in the dining room all to ourselves. Still for some events you don't want to arrive late to get a good seat.

The cabin was the standard cabin. They are all the same.

I personally really liked all the food. On previous cruises I felt that the food all had the taste of curry. I was very happy with the assortment at the buffet and the fact that they had Greek food since we were traveling to Greece. I also enjoyed the food in the Dining room. Food is a personal taste so not everyone in our party thought it was as wonderful as I did.

The service was good as it always is. I was also happy with the entertainment staff.

One thing that impressed me was the variety of professional musicians. Really added class and fun to the ship. We enjoyed the shows and games. For those of you who have kids and haven't sailed with Royal before - if you take your kids to "The Quest" game, they may get an education that you were not prepared to give.

As for the ports, one of the nice things about this cruise is that you really don't need to pay a bundle booking excursions. Kotor Montenegro is a walled town right across the street from the port. Take a walk and see everyone's cats, but don't bother with the cat museum. I love cats but this was just a bunch of creepy pictures.

Corfu requires a taxi but it is easy to get a taxi at the port and they are only $10 euro's for the ride each way no matter how many people. We had 4 people. It's another walled city but nice to walk around. I also liked that they sold Greek items made in Greece live olive wood cutting boards and soaps made with olive oil. We would have taken a taxi or excursion to the beach. However the water in September is not warm enough for me. I was also told by the staff that the beaches do not compare to the Caribbean and when I looked at the beach from Google Earth it didn't look that nice. The ship excursion was priced reasonable however if it rained you just lost your money. If it was summer I probably would try the beach.

Pireus Athens is where you absolutely want a taxi - and whatever you do, do NOT take one of the awful hop-on-hop-off buses. We made that mistake. There is no hopping, only waiting on lines in the hot sun and not seeing hardly anything because the buses do NOT run every 15 minutes as promised. One group paid a taxi driver 20 Euro's each and he took them to all the sites and waited as they visited each. We only got to see 2 and left the second one early so that we could get back to the ship in time. Mind you we had 8 hours in port. But all the time is spent waiting for the buses and then riding the buses. Lot of traffic to in this big city.

Mykonos in another nice city to walk around. The streets and buildings are unique. I bought a silver and opal ring for 22 Euro's which I found at the next port for only 14 so I don't know if I just made a hasty purchase or if this port may be pricier. But aside from that everything is in walking distance if you don't mind getting some exercise. There is a nice little museum for 4 Euro's a head in one direction and the windmill houses in another.

Argostoli is famous for having sea turtles in near the port. . You will find some people in the port who will tell you to walk to the area where the turtles are protected. Truth is that they want you to rent a paddle boat in that area. Before we got that far we saw quite a few turtles. We didn't see any in the protected area. There is also a nice street which runs parallel to the water but a few blocks in where they have some nice shops. Again l was happy to see items from Greece. They have some nice silver jewelry with while or blue opals. Not sure where those are mined.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything.

JerseyMomlovestoTravel's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View
Cabin 1N 2619

To me the cabins are all the same.

They offered a free excursion promising to get us back to the port or St Mark's Square at 12 noon. There were 12 of us. When we were at the furnace of Linea art they would only take us back to either St Marks or the port. so some of the guests had to suddenly figure out transportation on their own. Not very honest.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Athens (Piraeus)

Take a taxi. Do NOT take a Hop-on-hop off bus. You will spend all your time waiting on line in the hot sun.

Kotor

Nice town across the street from the port.

Corfu

Another nice town. take a taxi for 10 euros total.

JerseyMomlovestoTravel