3. Star Princess
The Pacific Coast cruise took us to Astoria, OR (quaint town), San Francisco, Monterey (gorgeous) and Victoria (cozy and beautiful). Embarkation went very smoothly. We hired a car to take us to the port, so that made it especially easy. Our cabins were very soundproof - never heard our neighbors OR each other (bathroom was very-well insulated). The staff were attentive and kind and the dining services were REALLY good. Loved the sit-down dinners and I'm glad we chose "Anytime Dining," which really means you can choose which of the two (or three?) main dining rooms you'd like to visit anytime between 7 and 9. You're also given the choice to share a big table (which we loved, even though we are introverts) or to wait a little longer for a private table. We also tried one of the surcharge restaurants (the Crown Grill) and loved the window seating, private table and extra attention (plus amazing steak). I can see why the older crowd would really enjoy a cruise, but I'm not sure I need to do that again. TIPS: * buy heavy-duty hook magnets (the walls have nice wallpaper, but they are covering metal so your magnets will stick almost anywhere). I used those for our coats, my purse, my shower bag, scarf, key card lanyard, jackets, clothes, etc... * buy clip magnets: I used these to keep track of the daily deluge of paperwork (tickets to excursions, the itinerary, the daily calendar of events, etc..). * Don't overpack! You can wear everything at least twice. NOBODY will notice. * Bring good walking shoes for shore excursion days. Bring comfy slip-ons for walking around the cruise ship * BRING YOUR OWN Lanyard to hold your key card. You need your key card every time you get a drink, a mocktail, an espresso, etc... and it's a pain to fish it out of a wallet. Just have it around your neck and be done! * If you have never cruised before, get the BALCONY. I am so glad we did. * Since you can bring one bottle of wine per person, you might consider Skipping the alcohol/all-inclusive packages. They are so expensive and unless you drink like a fish, I can't imagine they are worth it. We got the premium drink package (no alcohol) but half of us only got water anyway, and all of us drank only 1-2 coffees per day. It would have been cheaper to just pay a la carte, or to get that espresso drink punch card. The alcoholic drinks are between $9-12 each and so just get one when you feel like it (or not)! * WIFI is ridiculously expensive, so we skipped it. 1) we checked email in port and the rest of the time we stayed on airplane mode and 2) the ship has an internal wifi that doesn't give you internet, but it does give you the ability to message your co-travelers and also to look over the list of the daily events (and favorite the things you are considering). The daily paper events page shows exactly the same thing in case you don't want to bother with the app. * BRING A WATER BOTTLE and don't use the plastic bottles. You can easily fill your bottle(s) with ice and water up on the 14th floor (where they do buffet anytime dining). We brought two water bottles and then, because we had signed up for an "anything but alcohol" drink package, they also gave us two tumbler-type water containers that really came in handy. * the elevators in the aft (back of ship) don't go down far enough to reach all parts of the ship. I only used them to go UP to the buffet. If I wanted to go down (from our 11th-floor Baja deck), I'd walk to the front elevators, which went to every floor. * The closets on the Star Princess are HUGE. Lots of hangers. My partner and I are in our mid-40s and we were almost the youngest on the entire ship. That's not a problem, of course, just something to know. Some of our older shipmates were dancing and participating in events much more than we were, but overall I did get the sense I was in a retirement community. EVERYONE was friendly and fun and we loved getting to know our table-mates at dinner or those that did the same excursions. The entertainment had good variety, and there was music going on at all times (ochestral trio, latin lounge singers, recorded ballroom dancing, piano player, etc..). We enjoyed the two comedians the most. Overall: A - be prepared to not have internet (and enjoy it!) B - you'll never watch all those movies you downloaded, so don't bother bringing laptop C - ask your server what drinks they recommend. Our mocktail mojitos were amazing! D - people dress up for dinner and they REALLY dress up for the "at sea" days (usually 2 per week, I hear). We wore a dress/suite, but not everyone bothers. You'll be fine no matter what, but you'll feel like you fit in more if you dress up a bit. E - high heels are nice, but not if the ocean waves are rocking the boat! Be prepared to wear flats on those days!

First Time Cruising - fun!

Star Princess Cruise Review by AKkirsten

• Sail Date: September 2019
  • Destination: Pacific Coastal
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

TIPS:

* Don't overpack! You can wear everything at least twice. NOBODY will notice.

* If you have never cruised before, get the BALCONY. I am so glad we did.

* The closets on the Star Princess are HUGE. Lots of hangers.

Overall:

A - be prepared to not have internet (and enjoy it!)

AKkirsten’s Full Rating Summary
Get Star Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BB B637
More spacious than I thought and the sound-proofing was excellent (no noise from bathroom and never heard our neighbors)
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Butchart Gardens
    Even though it was early October, the gardens were simply breathtaking! The path winds around, the occasional peek through the woods reveals water and sailboats. Very picturesque! Try to get the tour that includes TEA!
    View All 274 Butchart Gardens Reviews