Viking Emerald Cruise Review

Boat needs serious upgrading because of damp issues

Viking Emerald Cruise Review by Mickswhiskas

• Sail Date: Sep 2018
  • Destination: Asia River

This was part of a multi centre trip to China. It was a 6 night cruise down the Yangtze River. Staff, food and excursions were exceptional. However, the boat has a very serious problem with damp/ excessive humidity. We were advised to ask for dehumidifiers in our cabin when we first arrived. These were provided but made little difference to the dampness overall. Our clothes and bedding were always cold from the damp. The linen in the dining room was damp also. When we arrived at our next destination, I had to take all our clothes out of the suitcases to air them as they were damp!

When we returned I advised Viking of my concerns and was informed that the Yangtze River was experiencing high humidity at that time! It is interesting to note that other travellers on this ship sailing at different times were also told the same! Some cabins were definitely worse than others with this problem. I expressed my concerns that if travellers had any respiratory problems, there could be serious repercussions. It is also worth noting that wewere offered £500 off the next trip. This boat is leased to Viking from the Chinese and therefore Viking are unable to rectify this problem themselves.

Mickswhiskas's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Junior Suite 328

OK but again major problems with damp and humidity. The cabin, on the middle deck,is near the main staircase but there was very little noise.

Mickswhiskas