3. Norwegian Jade
NCL is rapidly becoming my favourite cruise line. They just do everything really well. The ship is in mint condition. No wear and tear anywhere which is astounding. Though smaller than other NCL ships I've recently sailed I actually really enjoyed the size. It's not too big to get around and never seemed overly crowded. We never had to make reservations in any dining room and with the exception of one day never had to wait to be seated. The mix of pax on this cruise was slightly older - definitely 55+, however it was September so that would eliminate a lot of families. There were quite a few couples on their honeymoon as well. We booked a guarantee inside cabin and were assigned one on the 8th deck, right on the front of the ship over the theatre. Though small it was perfectly adequate for two people. It was my first time in an inside and I can honestly say it was just fine. I did not miss the window or the balcony at all. The itinerary was the best I've ever done. The ports were simply phenomenal. We did 3 tours - all in Italy because the ports were far away from what we wanted to see. Tours were all well-run. Athens was the most challenging port to do on our own, mainly because the walk to the subway was over 30 minutes and it wasn't that easy to find. The embarkation/debarkation process was seamless but we did have some trouble finding the ship! We took the train to Civitavecchia and walked to the port. There is a city bus that takes you where you need to go that stops right outside the train station (we didn't know this!) but I'd recommend taking it if you can. If you get a chance to take this cruise, do it! You won't regret it.

Fantastic cruise

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by ms.sunburn

• Sail Date: September 2019
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Family Inside

If you get a chance to take this cruise, do it! You won't regret it.
ms.sunburn’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jade price drops

Family Inside
Cabin I1 8505
This cabin was assigned to us via a guaranteed inside booking. We rarely heard any noise - occasionally only from the cabin beside us and above us. We didn't hear any noise from the theatre below. Though it was a small room, there was lots of storage space. Beds are a little on the firm side - not my favourite - but you get used to it. Cabin service was very good.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Athens (Piraeus)
    We got off the ship and walked to the subway which I would not recommend. It's far and hot with a lot of traffic. I've heard there is a city bus that runs directly into Athens or a Hop On Hop off that takes you to the acropolis. We did the HOHO bus directly from downtown Athens which I do not recommend. It wasn't really interesting and mostly we just sat in traffic. We did enjoy lunch and shopping in Plaka and wished we had spent more time there.
    View All 1,251 Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Review
  • Cinque Terre
    I thought I'd really love this tour but it was only ok. We were on very small buses and it was a cramped two hour ride each way. The towns were as pretty as they are in pictures but I found the locals that worked in the shops and restaurants were not welcoming to tourists. It was my least favourite place to visit in the entire trip. I wish we had just gone to Florence instead.
    View All 91 Cinque Terre Reviews
  • Malta (Valletta)
    Our ship arrived on a Sunday. Most of the shops and restaurants were closed but there was enough open that we still had things to do. It was sweltering hot the day we were there, even in the end of September. Local beer and water was so cheap!
    View All 615 Malta (Valletta) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Malta (Valletta) Cruise Port Review
  • Mykonos
    This was our favourite port. We took a boat over to paradise beach for a few hours and then did some shopping in old town. It's a beautiful place. If you're looking to buy jewellery it's an expensive island, though. We found the exact same items to be much cheaper in Rhodes and Chania.
    View All 1,076 Mykonos Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Mykonos Cruise Port Review
  • Sorrento & Amalfi Coast by Boat
    Excellent tour. We did not have enough time in Amalfi or Sorrento but we knew that would be the case before we took the tour. Our favourite place was Sorrento. Next time we'll just head there directly for the day.
    View All 15 Sorrento & Amalfi Coast by Boat Reviews
  • Rhodes
    We very much liked this port. It was so easy to get off the ship and walk to the old town. They had lots of shopping and restaurants. Great day and the shopping was cheaper than in other Greek ports.
    View All 479 Rhodes Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Rhodes Cruise Port Review
  • Rome (Civitavecchia)
    Very easy embarkation / debarkation. We got a bit confused about how to get to the ship from the train station, but found out later there is a city bus that will take you right into the port where you connect with a coach bus that takes you to the ship. It costs a few Euro but it's totally worth it. We took a frecciabianca train which runs non-stop from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia. If you're embarking at Termini and have a lot of luggage just be sure to get onto the train early.
    View All 2,185 Rome (Civitavecchia) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Rome (Civitavecchia) Cruise Port Review
  • Santorini
    Beautiful port - was my favourite last time, but it's really suffering from too many tourists on the island at one time. We were one of 5 ships in port and the line-ups to get up and down the cable cars were very, very long. Oia was also difficult to navigate due to crowds. At the tender port there are a few companies that offer a boat ride directly to Oia and a coach back to Fira, however, it is a bit disorganized. Last time we visited Oia we rented a car for the day which was actually a better way to get around.
    View All 1,011 Santorini Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Santorini Cruise Port Review
  • Mount Etna
    Loved this tour. Wished we had a bit more time on Etna. Tour guide was good and bus was in great shape. Well organized.
    View All 82 Mount Etna Reviews