Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by bostonphil

• Sail Date: Sep 2019
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Family Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window

I prefer traveling alone and I sail Norwegian because of the studio cabins. I also have rewards with Norwegian because I have sailed them so many times.

I have not had the opportunity to travel abroad since the 1960's and I wanted to be more adventurous so I chose this Northern Europe cruise, I was interested in the ports, the culture, the people, the history, the beauty, etc.

If I were to do it over again, I would have done so much differently.

I stayed in Copenhagen for four days pre-cruise. I bought the Copenhagen Card but lost money because I did not use it enough. I wish that I had bought the HOHO bus in Copenhagen.

I stayed at First Hotel 27 and can recommend. Breakfast was excellent and so was wi fi. Staff was great and I loved the personal care items. Location was very good.

Copenhagen is great. Beautiful City with lots to do but as you have heard, it is also expensive.

For Germany, I did not want to deal with the trek to Berlin and went to Schwerin and Schwerin Castle. I was not disappointed.

I was surprised at how beautiful Tallinn was. I took The Palace and Old City tour. I learned a lot but HOHO bus might be a good option depending.

St. Petersburg was still very crowded with tourists.

The Hermitage was still overcrowded and frantic. I wish that I had chosen the evening visit. Try to avoid using the cloakroom if possible because it is so hard to get your things when leaving. Things were so chaotic in the Hermitage that I took a fall.

Peterhof was beautiful. Recommended. Another very pleasant surprise as I was not expecting it to be so beautiful.

Helsinki was a peaceful and relaxed respite after St. Petersburg. While I took an excursion, this would be a good port for doing the HOHO bus or just walking.

In Sweden, I took the Stockholm by Sea and Land excursion. Stockholm is beautiful and so interesting but then so were all the ports. Another port where the HOHO might be a good choice. I believe that it picks up and returns to the port.

I ate at the Garden Cafe and 24/7 restaurant only. The food was just so so. It was a hit or a miss. However, if you had a miss, you could always go back trying to find a hit. Desserts were always delicious and coffee is always terrible.

The Atrium was always too loud and noisy. NCL needs to move some of the entertainment to The Theater or somewhere else on the ship. I did enjoy the Abba Tribute.

I also sent to the Farewell Show and Million Dollar Quartet. Both very good.

I was upgraded to a large size Oceanview which had a bathtub but no coffee machine. While I liked the window, I often could not see out because of water and fog.

Embarkation and Disembarkation went smoothly for me.

Some staff was friendly and helpful while others were not. That has been the situation on all my cruises and I have learned to go with the flow.

Weather was good to us. It was always in the 50's and overcast but only a few sprinkles now and then. Very comfortable with the right clothing.

it was a wonderful learning experience but it was a very demanding and exhausting and intense voyage. Also, a very expensive cruise. I went way over budget and I still was frugal and cautious with my spending.

If possible, try to avoid having to change planes at Heathrow which is a nightmare.

bostonphil's Full Rating Summary

Family Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window
Cabin O1 5752

I was upgraded to this very large Ocean View Cabin. I loved the window but often could not see out due to fog and or water on the window Had a bathtub but no coffee maker. Really liked being on the 5th deck just one below The Atrium and one above going out to ports.

Schwerin Castle

Interesting and Beautiful. No regrets about my choice

View All 24 Schwerin Castle Reviews
Kadriorg Palace

Beautiful and interesting

View All 10 Kadriorg Palace Reviews
Old Town of Tallinn

Beautiful and interesting.

I liked Tallinn a lot but there is so much walking and standing.

View All 189 Old Town of Tallinn Reviews
Hermitage Museum

Too much chaos and crowds and intensity. I took the 5 hour tour with Gold Room and wish that i had taken the evening 3 hour tour

View All 377 Hermitage Museum Reviews
Peterhof Palace

Really magnificent and interesting.

View All 231 Peterhof Palace Reviews
Temppeliaukio Church (The Rock Church)

Intereresting

View All 35 Temppeliaukio Church (The Rock Church) Reviews

went out to the country to see home of once famous and controversial architects. Peaceful tour and relaxing after St. Petersburg

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Stockholm Old Town Tour

Lots of walking but beautiful and interesting

View All 54 Stockholm Old Town Tour Reviews
Vasa Museum

Interesting story.

View All 128 Vasa Museum Reviews

8 hour long day. Too much walking but also very beautiful and interesting.

View All undefined undefined Reviews