3. Viking Star
We had gone on the Rhine River Cruise in 2017 and were so impressed with Viking - the food, the excursions, the staff and accommodations - we knew we would travel with Viking again. Italy and Greece were two destinations on my bucket list so when we found the Emperors of the Mediterranean we know that was the cruise we needed to book next. The ship was beautiful, the options and the guides for each excursion were exceptional. The pre- excursion in Tuscany was wonderful - the billa accommodations and meals prepared at the villa were phenomenal and Roberta, our guide, was amazing! The deluxe suite on the ship was beautiful and spacious. I loved the afternoon in Winter Garden and all the beautiful sitting and lounge areas throughout the ship were great. We really enjoyed the spa and Harri was amazing for my massage and we participated in the Nordic Bathing Ritual with Harri as well. The snow grotto was a fun addition to the spa area. I was, unfortunately, disappointed with the food. We felt the food - variety and quality - on the river cruise was far superior to the ocean cruise. There seemed to be a lot of repetition each night and many items lacked flavor. The river cruise did a better job of tailoring each dinner to the port/ region we were visiting. The port talks were a bit too early, often missing them because we were just getting back from an excursion or cutting into the tea time. The other suggestion to consider is the amount of free time built into the excursions. While I understand we are on a tight time table we did not feel there was enough free time to explore the area on our own. Typically we had 20 30 minutes of free time at the end of the excursion which was not enough time to grab a drink or cup of coffee let alone do any shopping. Over all the ocean cruise was good however I think our next Viking trip we will return to the river options.

Overall good but did not live up to the river cruise

Viking Star Cruise Review by Klaplume

Klaplume’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Star price drops

The views coming into each port were wonderful.