Norwegian Sun Cruise Review

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by mariposa224

• Sail Date: Sep 2019
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

Getting on the ship and off the ship was simple in and of itself, but getting TO the ship was another story. We had purchased a package that included transfers from the airport to Port Canaveral, however, our flights were delayed and changed a few times, getting us to Orlando quite a bit later than we were originally scheduled. When I tried to call NCL from Chicago to confirm that we would still be able to get the transfers, no one was able to assist me and I wound up being on hold for almost the entire time (40 minutes or so) that we were in O'Hare airport, never actually receiving any assistance, but just being on hold before the first person who didn't help me and again before a second person didn't help me. Once we arrived in Orlando, thankfully we were still able to get our transfer, even though it was after the time listed that the transfers would be running.

We were not given enough information once we got on the ship to be able to enjoy this cruise as I'm accustomed to doing. We were never given an accurate shipboard layout to know where things were and the signage on the ship doesn't help. There are signs displaying what places are on what decks, but not *where* on the deck and since you have to walk through multiple spaces to get to other spaces, we were consistently confused. Hallways would be nice.

I had purchased unlimited internet, but was never given instructions as to how to use it until I hunted someone down for the information. Since I had purchased it prior to embarkation, I thought that info would have been included in the packet in our state room along with the non-existent ship layout to help us get around. Additionally, I feel that the value of the "unlimited" Wifi is actually nil, since it was nearly impossible to get anything on the internet to actually WORK while on the ship.

The bar staff at the pool and above the pool were never friendly and many times rude. We enjoyed the Champagne bar and the one with the Starbucks attached, along with the staff working at them, but those were really the only two places we felt welcomed.

I've not been on such a small ship for a cruise before, so I was not expecting to feel the ship in motion every time it was in motion. I've never been motion sick before, not on big ships, nor speed boats in the Gulf or on lakes, but got sick on this ship on the 3rd day.

I didn't realize that we wouldn't be assigned a table and time for dinner, as had been the case on my two previous cruises, so I was a bit disappointed by that. I missed meeting others and chatting over dinner and having a team of wait staff that would come to know us and be super attentive at dinner. We ate in the no cost standard restaurants twice. The first time it was OK. The second time, the restaurant was not all that busy, but we barely saw our waiter and the food was sub-par. I actually had a baked potato that had been held too long and was hard and barely warm.

The Sun seems extremely outdated for 2019. We had a shore day canceled, which I do not hold against NCL, as they obviously have no control over the weather, however, this ship seems woefully unprepared for days at sea. There is so little in the way of things to do that everyone was at the pool, many getting excessively sloppy-drunk, which made for not the best day on top of having missed out on our planned excursion. Had there been more places on the ship to do things, or even more than one pool area, that may have at least helped a bit.

Our room steward was great. Always friendly and helpful. Had someone mentioned that there were USB ports on the lights by the bed (always hidden by pillows during the day) before we accidentally discovered them, that would have been super nice, since there are only two electrical outlets in the stateroom.

The massage therapists in the Spa were nice, though that was also priced in the ridiculous range. Also, it seems deceptive that you don’t state that VAT and an additional gratuity amount will be included on the price list. Or, if you do, it isn’t clearly stated where most will see it and be aware that the $159 massage (already overly pricey) will actually end up costing $207.

The photos are also priced ridiculously. We wanted to get smaller prints of a couple of the pictures because they were fairly good photos, but didn't because paying $25 for a single 4x6 inch photo is ludicrous.

This was my first cruise with Norwegian and will very likely be my last. I didn't find anything about the boat to be impressive and many things were quite lacking. I would not recommend to anyone

mariposa224's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BB 8042

The room was OK, small, but plenty of storage areas. The balcony was nice.

Key West

We got on the trolley in Key West and after a few stops got off at the Hemingway rum distillery. We had to wait an hour and a half for the tour, so we walked around, found another small distillery and sampled their rum. We walked around a bit more and headed back to Paps' Pilar (Hemingway) for our tour. The tour there was very informative and I feel like I actually learned quite a bit about how rum is made, along with a little island history. The rum there was AMAZING and my friend and I both bought a bottle of the blonde rum. We had lunch at 2 Friends Bar, got a Cuban coffee at a little stand, then headed back to the ship.

Great Stirrup Cay

We had an excursion scheduled, but due to an impending tropical storm, we did not get to go to Great Stirrup Cay.

Atlantis Resort

The Discover Atlantis/Beach Break was OK, but really nothing to "write home about" My friend and I walked the whole resort, which took about an hour, including walking through the aquariums. The aquariums could use a little updating, as much of the plexi-glass was heavily scratched which made for not the best viewing of the sea creatures. There wasn't a lot of variety either. I think we enjoyed the views just walking around the resort more. We laid by one of the pools for an hour or so, then decided to catch the first bus back to Nassau so we could explore it a little before returning to the ship. All told, we had a good day, but there wasn't anything spectacular about the excursion.

View All 765 Atlantis Resort Reviews